running outside cable to power outside lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone..

question..

i want to fit a outside light with PIR sensor.

but i want to hide the ugly cable that i will use.. so can i thread the cable between the cavity of the brickwork.. i.e. running up along the back door, and then have the cable come through the inside, running under the floorboads?.. to the main fuse box
do i need to use conduit? in every area that i mention above

Sponsored Links
Using mineral insulated cable which is about neatest option no it will be fine as it comes. But not really a DIY job with that cable. Ali-tube would also be OK. But really with the problems of charges from LABC I would think you would be better not to DIY anyway.

Read about Part P.

Could you not life floor boards upstairs, and drill out thro the cavity within the floor void (if you get me).
Then somehow get cables from there down to cu + where ever you want the switch.

hi there..
mmm it gets complex now.. lol.

we have power to the outside wall, but it was never used.. never set up. but i simply want to ( bury the cable ) as it looks a mess..can i put it inside the cavity, i know where to run it too..and in what way.. just not sure if i can bury the 3 core 2.5mm flex in the cavity, naked as it were.. within the cavity of the brickwork.

or do i need conduit..or other type of cable...
i will call a sparky tomorrow..but i simply trying to find out what i can this evening whilst the mrs is watchin her soaps lol

Sponsored Links
Flex?
Wait for electrician to advise.
You don't want to do any work yourself and find its incorrect.

3 core 2.5mm flex

..Thats big flex for a light !

i know.. lol.

yes i will get advise from a sparkie

and get him to do the work, the latest rules and regs were updated because of guys like me in the past lol.. :rolleyes:

3 core 2.5mm flex

..Thats big flex for a light !

i know.. lol.

yes i will get advise from a sparkie

and get him to do the work, the latest rules and regs were updated because of guys like me in the past lol.. :rolleyes:

Sensible descision Jay. If more people took this veiw then a lot more domestic properties would be in a Healthier state indeed.

If you want to drill straight through the cavity wall from inside to outside and keep the majority of the run indoors, that's fine. However, you don't want to be running cables horizontally, vertically, or any other way inside the cavity other than straight through.

Using mineral insulated cable which is about neatest option no it will be fine as it comes. But not really a DIY job with that cable. Ali-tube would also be OK. But really with the problems of charges from LABC I would think you would be better not to DIY anyway.

Read about Part P.

Why would you even consider recommending MI for a domestic PIR flood light, especially as the OP is obviously a basic DIY'er?

And what the hell is ALI-tube?

I would look to tidy the cable up rather than loose it. It cannot look worse than a ****e halogen flood light on your wall.

my halogen flood light looks the bees nees... not some tacky £8.00 job from B&Q.. oh..hold on, yes it is.. but it looks fab.. i just dont want the unsightly cable visable..

as i have white smooth finish exterior walls.. and hence the flex needs to be hidden

but around the side of the patio doorway, are one either side, a evening light, as it were..not that bright, but they give off a nice glow when we are having BBQ or whatever..
Right - so they are lower down?

all 3 lights are exposed cable and it looks awful.
I know what you mean - I hate that, and will go to great lengths to avoid it myself.

hence can i bury the flex within the cavity..
The problem with cables in cavities is that if insulation is pumped in (which will happen more and more as fuel costs rise and the Govt needs to give people incentives so it can meet its CO2 targets) that can reduce the current carrying capacity of the cable and attack the PVC sheath.

Chasing it into the inside leaf would be better, but would result in a need to redecorate.....

but upon reading many posts and quetsion on here.. a lot of replies are what seem.. smart alec replies.. or refer to this that or the other... re reg's and the law.
Can't ignore the latter, and shouldn't ignore the former.

Strictly speaking installing these lights is notifiable, but the guidance in Approved Document P is that it's not as long as the cable isn't exposed, which is just what you want. The guidance is wrong, vis-a-vis the law, but it would be rude to refuse to follow it.. ;)

but i have learnt that i will have to call a sparkie in to work out what options i can go for.
Someone seeing it in the flesh might have good ideas.

thanks to everyone who has helped..
and a big thank to you those that love to sit @ a pc.. and break down every point of a question.
mmm .
<shrug>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back