Outdoor cable route?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fit an outside security light as I was broke into last week, but need advice on the cabling.
I live in a 1 storey appartment and my closest socket is about 6m away from the soon to be light, I can't go up into the roof due to asbestos and recent decorating so will have to go straight through the wall, the problem is the cable will exit in the garden about 30cm from ground level and have to go straight up 2m and across.

Do I need to use SWA, or flex in conduit or will hi tuff clipped to the wall be ok?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
SWA would be best, although you might be OK with HiTuf - what part of the garden is there? What are the risks of the cable getting gouged by gardening tools, whacked by wheelbarrows, scraped by cycles etc?

Conduit may be a problem to gland at the light....

This is notifiable, BTW.

Conduit may be a problem to gland at the light....
Can't you just take it to a conduit through box with a compression gland in one end and then run a short loop of unprotected flex to the light.

Assuming that the light is high enough up to be out of harms way and the flex chosen is UV resistant of course.

Hi,

I want to fit an outside security light as I was broke into last week,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. IMO security lights do nothing to improve the security of a property. Indeed, burglar bill quite likes a bit of extra light to select his jemmy/bump key/etc etc

I would spend the money on fixing however he got in.

Otherwise I can't add to the excellent advice above.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone, decided to go the safe and easy route by using conduit straight up and across under the gutter and around the corner to where the light will go. And I spoke to the council today and sorted the notification out.

your replies are very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back