How to screw holes into a Divan bed

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a Divan bed.

Only one side has screws for the headboard.
Problem: we need the headboard on the other side.
There are no holes.

The side that the is a hole, it has a metal bolt of some sort with a thread inside that you can screw into.

What can I do?

If I drill big enough holes, will that be OK? and not call apart or come loose in future?

Or do I need to screw in the same metal bits?
What are these metal bits called?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Probably EZ-Lok fittings, drilling a hole in wood won't mean you can just screw into it with a bolt, several decent wood screws might be strong enough.

thanks for the replies guys
i'm afraid the wood is weak and brittle and won't stand having holes drilled

Turn the bed around , simples
yes can do. but the the draws are against the wall.

in any case actually... the headboard on a divan bed is really weak anyway.
so would want to make stronger

so... i should JUST drill holes and screw into?

Sponsored Links
Or..... can you just attach the headboard to a wall instead? I've just done this, using DIY hooks and support straps made from coat-hanger wire, so that the headboard lifts off easily.

i'm afraid the wood is weak and brittle and won't stand having holes drilled

yes can do. but the the draws are against the wall.

in any case actually... the headboard on a divan bed is really weak anyway.
so would want to make stronger

so... i should JUST drill holes and screw into?
No the divan ends are flimsy so have spiked nuts imbedded during manufacturing . Easy to stick headboard on the wall as suggested .
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p2...MI6pGFqKjl2gIVYrftCh3MPQbFEAQYAiABEgJdJPD_BwE

on a wall is not an option :(
it's just how the room is located.

i'm now thinking of using 10 normal screws - and not bothering with the nut - as this would be weak anyway on its own.

what i dont understand is why no one else in the world hasn't hit the same problem!!
i normally do a youtube on most things and find some clever person showing how to solve/fix.

thanks.

if you take the drawer out can you see the structural timbers in the area you need to screw the headboard to you may need to add extra timbers to attach to?? look at the other end for guidance

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
if you take the drawer out can you see the structural timbers in the area you need to screw the headboard to you may need to add extra timbers to attach to?? look at the other end for guidance
great idea. i'll do this tomorrow. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back