How to seal a plaster wall which is not to be painted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just finished plastering a bedroom and have decided to keep the plaster walls as they are (ie unpainted). I will need to seal the walls, but unsure of what product to use.
I would normally use water down emulsion, but as i am leaving the plaster exposed I am unsure what to do.
I would like the surface to have a slight sheen.
I came across a forum that mentioned using linseed oil. Do you think this would be a good idea. Is linseed oil not flammable and rather smelly?
Would a very water downed solution of pva to water be ok?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Neville

Sponsored Links
Why not get a paint in the colour of the plaster, mist coat first with basic 50/50 white emulsion water, then paint with a soft sheen or similar mixed by Dulux Trade or the likes, PVA should not be used in my opinion, and any form of oil base will mean you could not paint or paper in the future, it may not be you that has to do that but what if you want to sell the property?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Will definitely not use PVA!
I have some Johnstones water based polyurethane varnish. If I watered this down, do you think this would be ok to use?
Would i be able to paint over that surface in future if needed?
Thanks

I have some Johnstones water based polyurethane varnish. If I watered this down, do you think this would be ok to use?
Would i be able to paint over that surface in future...?

Can't say I've ever tried varnish on plaster so honestly don't know. I imagine it would peel in time, so personally wouldn't risk it.
If you do and it does work, then theoretically, you should be able to paint over it at a later date but it will probably need sanding or a multi-surface primer to provide a key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back