How to secure this concealed toilet frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm fitting my first toilet in my own house but reasonably competent at DIY. I understand concealed toilet frames are secured at the back against a block or stud wall. However in this understair w/c the wall behind the toilet is a aluminium/metal stud and I am certain it cannot take any significant loads. Therefore I was thinking to put a 2x8 across the back horizontally and secure it to the adjacent walls, which are block walls, using heavy duty corner brackets.

Does this sound feasible or should I take a different approach or look for a different frame?

Attachments

• 20231203_182712.jpg
    20231203_182712.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
Seems reasonable to me. 2x8 might be overkill (at that distance 2x6 would be fine) but if you have the space for it and the inclination..

ps; I take it you were thinking of a timber lying flat on top of the frame like a shelf, fixings bolted up into it and into the wall? (I was)

1701631657972.png

Ps I take it you were thinking of a timber lying flat on top of the frame, fixings bolted up into it ?

Ah, not quite. Flat against the wall, so for the frame can still be attached as designed.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't that rob you of two inches of room?
Yep, it definitely does, but I have the soil stack to the left and the frame is not sitting properly, so it may just about work but I will measure.

Is there another way I could do this?

Attachments

• 20231203_193417.jpg
    20231203_193417.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 12
Anything else feed into that stack or is it just this toilet?

Vertically?
There'll be the waste from the sink feeding into the soil stack too.

Not sure how vertically would work. Do you mean horizontally above the frame as per your drawing?

There'll be the waste from the sink feeding into the soil stack too
You could see if your BC would accept an AAV being fitted rather than having the stack all the way up and out. If there is elsewhere on the property that it's an open vent it's more likely to garner a yes

Not sure how vertically would work
I meant floor to ceiling studs either side of the frame, like as if you were installing in an existing stud wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back