How to split circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had whole appt rewired and a new fuse box installed.. Electrician went into loft/ceiling once to drop the cables.
appt was decorated and the plan was to connect sockets switches and hang lights after decorating. Decorators said there was not enough light from a cable he had set up so he decided to connect all lights to one 'fuse' ( left hand most in pic). When fuse is flicked on all lights come on. How easy is it to set up lighting on their appropriate breaker circuit without knowledge from the electrician( who fell out with owner). Tnx.

Attachments

• 20160127_102947.jpg
    20160127_102947.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 20160127_102835.jpg
    20160127_102835.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 320
Sponsored Links
Forgot to add he did this 'connection' without going back into loft . Not sure if this point is significant or not.

Hard to say without being there….
How many wires are going in to the top of the lighting MCB
left hand most in pic
???

PS If that is the result of the rewire and new fusebox then I am apalled. Was this electrician a member of a Competent Person Scheme (CPS)? They should have been. I would complain to the electrician's CPS. Also, have you had a Building Regulations Completion Certificate to confirm that he/she/it has notified the new circuits & consumer unit change.

PPS. I really hope that thre is a cover to go over that CU!

9 wires are wired in pls c pic and yes i do have a cover.

Attachments

• 20160127_141645.jpg
    20160127_141645.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
NO. I did not ask that. I asked how many wires go into the lighting MCB. There is only ONE from your photo.

So, to split the lighting insytallation into more than one circuit, you will need to do more running of cables from a suitable place (dont know your property) down to the consumer unit.

Also, is that the final installation of the consumer unit? There seems to be an awful lot of empty MCBs in there………….

Consumer unit (may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit). A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use.
To my mind what is shown is not a consumer unit, although one can where in the control of a skilled person build panels to do what you want I would say a flat in not in the control of a skilled person so to build your own consumer unit how ever good it is does not really comply.

It is one of those jobs where electricians are heard to suck in air through their teeth and shake their head and walk away. It may be safe and functional but no one would want to get involved short of installing a new type tested distribution unit called a consumer unit. Any scheme member signs to say as a condition of being a scheme member he will follow the requirements of BS7671 and that does not seem to follow the requirements. So only way that can be signed off is through the LABC they could issue a completion certificate but think it is unlikely.

So you need to consider your next step. Three options as far as I can see.
1) DIY and cross your fingers nothing goes wrong.
2) Involve LABC and get an industrial electrician who is not a member of a scheme, as he can do what he likes as long as the LABC will sign it off.
3) Get a scheme member and start from scratch.

Do wait for other answers as they may have some better ideas. But if I personally was presented with that I would want to start again from scratch or simply walk away. I am talking about the distribution unit wiring may be OK. But don't think anyone would want to put their name to that.

Electrician went into loft/ceiling once to drop the cables.

I don't know who installed that, but he was not an electrician.

Lovely rubber-insulated singles, BTW. I wouldn't want to touch one in case the rubber fell off.

Last edited:
I suspect an electrician first fixed it, then there was a fall out over payment re 1st/2nd fix, and then somebody has lashed those circuits in for lighting/power

No, it indicates that I would like to know how connecting all the lighting circuits to the same MCB would resolve the problem of not enough light.

No, it indicates that I would like to know how connecting all the lighting circuits to the same MCB would resolve the problem of not enough light.
but not enough light "from a cable he had set up" ?? I don't think that anything would resolve that problem!

Kind Regards, John

Missed the third picture and it does seem this was some unit made many years ago. I can see now the old cables. However I have never seen any consumer unit which includes the meter I would assume this is not the DNO meter but one for a land lord to charge tenants with? I can see a 6A and two 16A MCB's in use so three circuits which would equal 9 wires. You say a new fuse box was installed, but you don't show it, clearly the distribution unit shown is not new, it may have some new items fitted into it, seems to have twin RCD's, but the unit as a whole is not new. Not surprised that the owner and electrician fell out. It would seem the electrician has built his own distribution unit inside the old fuse box. Once tidied up this could be very functional, however it will not comply with regulations, as it will not have been type tested.

I am assuming the two 16A MCB's are not lights so the electrician has wired all lights onto one cable. There is nothing wrong with this, however depending on natural light you may need some emergency light units. To split lights into two will require re-wiring away from the distribution unit so you have two lighting cables coming into the unit.

You say "the owner" so I assume your not the owner? Question is why are you wanting to alter cables if you are neither an electrician or the owner. I would replace the front and walk away and have nothing to do with it until some one agrees on installing a propriety consumer unit. Also after cables are fitted and the plasters are finished next job is inspecting and testing. This is an account of what happens when inspecting and testing is done by a semi-skilled worker the plasters who connected up the lights could find themselves in court should anything go wrong, and the account shows how even when the plaster and plumber cause the problem it is still the electrician who was found guilty for not testing correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back