How to stop back gate hitting brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've a new gate going on soon and I wanted to stop it from hitting the garage wall. I think the previous owners changed the posts to put in a lock.

I'm going to put new brenton bolts on and a latch, I think I'm going to need to remove one of the posts to be able to use the latch.

Question is how to stop the new gate hitting the brick wall? I've been thinking about putting a small strip of wood at the top, the bottom gets too narrow

IMG_20220507_212234.jpg

IMG_20220506_153003.jpg

IMG_20220506_152956.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
spammer removed said:
I think the door needs some sanding. You can have a carpenter or do it yourself
That's the old gate

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
You need a door stop?
A length of wood screwed to the frame to stop the door going all the way through the fame (on the wall in your case).
A long length of wood screeed to the frame would be the normal way
But as you highlight the gap gets snaller, your small bit of wood at top works - but will be less secure.

Perhaps Use the first wood post (furthest from the wall) to put the latch on to give yourself more space to put a length of wood on the second post next to the wall.
https://www.wonkeedonkeexljoinery.co.uk/doors-general-information/door-frames/

You need a door stop?
A length of wood screwed to the frame to stop the door going all the way through the fame (on the wall in your case).
A long length of wood screeed to the frame would be the normal way
But as you highlight the gap gets snaller, your small bit of wood at top works - but will be less secure.

Perhaps Use the first wood post (furthest from the wall) to put the latch on to give yourself more space to put a length of wood on the second post next to the wall.
https://www.wonkeedonkeexljoinery.co.uk/doors-general-information/door-frames/
If I move the first post over to stop the gate hitting the wall it puts the gate out at an angle

You don't have to cover the full length of the door.
Say 150mm at top, middle (next to latch to secure it) and bottom.
Paint them green or black.

Otherwise a rubber doorstop screewed into wall.
SFK

Last edited:
I don't understand. you probably have a mental picture but I can't see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back