How to stop back gate hitting brick wall

Anyone know how to remove these bolts from the frame.

Looks like it has 8X130 on the bolt.

We've tried using an impact driver, socket set they won't budge at all

IMG_20220511_161551.jpg

Sponsored Links
Stick a pole on the end of your spanner to give it some extra leverage, a metal pole not an Eastern European. Or even an extra spanner:

051.jpg

Sponsored Links
I presume they have rusted under the surface and seized into the substrate. What do they screw into? Are they coach screws?

If you have a blowtorch with a fine pencil flame, you can heat the head, and it will probably crumble the rust or scorch the wood enough to unscrew. If plasplugs, they will melt. Protect the timber with a piece of metal or tile with a hole just big enough for the head.

But I had some galvanised studding into RC fenceposts rusted so badly that I had to drill them out. I drilled the heads off and used a fine drill beside the studs.

I use stainless bolts now, and big stainless washers.

I presume they have rusted under the surface and seized into the substrate. What do they screw into? Are they coach screws?

If you have a blowtorch with a fine pencil flame, you can heat the head, and it will probably crumble the rust or scorch the wood enough to unscrew. If plasplugs, they will melt. Protect the timber with a piece of metal or tile with a hole just big enough for the head.

But I had some galvanised studding into RC fenceposts rusted so badly that I had to drill them out. I drilled the heads off and used a fine drill beside the studs.

I use stainless bolts now, and big stainless washers.
Not to sure but there 3 bolts in total all look like there sat in the middle of bricks. I'd like to reuse the holes as don't fancy drilling into the brick and risk it cracking.

Well I've got one out but looks like its snapped

Can I attach new bits of wood just using long screws and plugs or would I need to use something stronger?
IMG_20220511_183650.jpg
IMG_20220511_183647.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back