How to stop drill from drifting when drilling dot and dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When drilling through dot and dab into the external or party walls, I find the drill can drift quite dramatically once it hits the masonry meaning the resultant hole is in the wrong place. How can I avoid this happening? I have a battery or mains hammer drill available to me and I'll get a new bit in the morning in case that's the problem. This is a 10mm hole for use with Corefix and the house is about 13 years old (I don't know exactly what blocks are used).

Sponsored Links
Plus, use a smaller drill bit first, go slow into block behind. Then use the bigger drill bit...

(And accept that if you go through the plasterboard and end up hitting the edge of a brick, the bit is going to wander into the mortar)

Put a small bit into the battery drill and use that first

Sponsored Links
(If your drill bit is long enough and you have the space)
Bit of scrap timber (pallet plank works) a foot long, 2 or 3 inches wide.
Drill a hole in it same dia as your masonry bit
Hold plank against wall (1 hand or a friend)
Drill through hole.
This also works using holecutters in ceilings (for downlights etc)

If your friend's a plank do you drill through them?

This also works using holecutters in ceilings
Good call; I'd once drilled a hole too small for a downlight but this lost my centering hole to keep steady for wrapping the smaller hole with a larger one. It kept snatching when trying to start on an angle, but zapping a hole in some scrap timber using the hole saw I wanted to use on the ceiling meant I could use the timber to hold the hole saw steady..

(If your drill bit is long enough and you have the space)
Bit of scrap timber (pallet plank works) a foot long, 2 or 3 inches wide.
Drill a hole in it same dia as your masonry bit
Hold plank against wall (1 hand or a friend)
Drill through hole.
This also works using holecutters in ceilings (for downlights etc)

I use a similar process for drilling through porcelain tiles with diamond core bits. Sometimes I use a hot melt glue gun to hold the scrap of timber in place. A tap with a hammer after and the timber falls off the tiles.

Glue guns are great for those kind of jobs. A few blobs of hot melt glue will lock the timber in about 10 seconds, leaving you free to use both hands for the drilling.

One of my local bathroom shops uses hot melt glue to mount all the tiles in their demonstration displays; I thought it was a fantastic idea for non-service work, especially as it's possible to strip the tiles out again with little fuss and mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back