How to stop external bell sounding -again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started a new post but in fact posted the same problem 4 years ago.
I am installing a new control panel on my alarm system. I want to stop the external bell sounding whilst I install the new panel.
This happened 4 years ago in Sept 2007, this time I am replacing the panel because the it has been physically damaged when moving furniture past it.
The wiring to/from the external box is still exactly the same.
I cannot understand why the solution given last time and which worked is not working this time.
The solution given by Breezer in 2007 was to connect the panel battery to the SAB supply + / -
I thanked Breezer at the time for the info, which enabled me to replace the panel.
This time the old panel is a Melcom ST5000 but is that relevant?
So I disconnected the wires to the SAB (on the panel) and connected the SAB wires to the battery, and the bell was still sounding.
I repeated this with the wires to the bell (on the panel) disconnected, still the bell sounded
To stop the bell sounding I found I needed to connect both the bell + and the SAB + again. If either is disconnected the bell sounds, but I found that the bell -, and the SAB -, dont need to be connected for the bell to sound.
I can turn off the power to the panel (which I obviously need to do to replace it), when SAB + / - is connected to the battery, and still the bell is sounding.
Perhaps I am missing something I did four years ago?
Any suggestions gratefully received
Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Is your battery duff? Connecting to the +12v and -12v hold-off should work as it did before.

Thanks Joe 90 for the quick reply,
I know it is not a true test of a battery, but it does give a good 12v according to my multimeter, also with everything connected as normal, if I turn the mains power off then the alarm does not go off suggesting the battery is ok, but what I can do is try it with another battery, I know is ok, to double check.
Thanks
Jim

To stop the bell sounding I found I needed to connect both the bell + and the SAB + again.

Well do that then and get the ladders out.

Sponsored Links
Alarm can you be more specific as to what the problem might be? I have now double checked with a second battery and still have the problem.

I am frightened by your comment about ladders, when I posted 4 years ago I did say that I could not go up ladders and was hopeful the remedy was inside the house!

I might have to get someone to fix/replace the bell box if there is a problem there.
However, regardless of any problem in the bell box, the control panel still needs replacing and I might have to let the bell go off for as long as it takes to replace. I don't know if it will cut out after a certain time.
Any other suggestions gratefully received
Jim

You must be reading the terminals wrong. Your panel is sending up a +12v and a -12v. All you have to do is work out which is which then replicate it with your battery. The other terminals don't matter.

And of course the pos and neg may just be not entirely what they seem.
Certain bells use the neg and neg return in different ways and this could be the issue.
Keep the pos as it is and swap the negs about.

If a sounder has a pos and neg trig, could you put the pos trig into the pos supply hold off and neg trig into the pannel sounder trig.?

And of course the pos and neg may just be not entirely what they seem.
Certain bells use the neg and neg return in different ways and this could be the issue.
Keep the pos as it is and swap the negs about.

dosent gardtec's monitor all 5 wires and if one disconected the sab kicks in?

And how the the gardtec manage to do that ? unless you are thinking of nova active (serial connection 4 wires)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back