How to strengthen woodedn 1940 stairs..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My stairs are little worse for wear, just moved into a 1940 house and tring to get bits n bobs done, the stairs dont feel tight and move quite a bit, here are some pics, how do i strengthen them?

1.jpg

2.jpg

In this picture you can see two broken bits, a tread and a riser, any idea how to sort this out without replacing both bits?

3.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Neil

Sponsored Links
wedges seem to be missing under the top tread
[triangular]glue blocks missing between most steps
my suggestion replace the wedges then glue with pvu foaming glue underneath[in all areas ]
cover the cracks with 12mm ply screw and glue into place with foaming glue
make sure all treads and risers are pushed/propped home before gluing
replace the missing blocks and glue
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93568

Will any Polyurethane Wood Adhesive do as I'm not sure homebase will have that exact type, do the wedges have to be wedged shaped? I have lots of blocks left over from a ceiling I did, or is the wedge shape a part of the design for support? Should the ply go on top of the tread? Wouldn't this make on tread higher then the rest?

Cheers for help,
Neil

Sponsored Links
no underneath in all areas
if you cant cut any wedges to fit in the sides just go for a large triangular 12mm ply plate and screw and glue tight under the tread and or riser
order the glue from toolstation free postage on £10+ orders next day delivery if you order before 17.00

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back