How to tension a chainlink fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I moved in, a large tree had collapsed onto a chainlink fence at the bottom of my garden - a few years ago by the look of it. Once I have cut the old tree trunk away, I want to reinstate the fence, which still looks in reasonable condition. It is standard green plastic covered chainlink with concrete posts and top middle and bottom supporting wires. I believe the top wire (and possibly the middle wire) have snapped. If I can get some replacement wire from my local DIY shop, how do I go about tensioning the wires to ensure the fence is well supported? My plan is to remove the top and middle wires completely, secure new ones with tensioners of some sort at one end and then straighten and attach the existing chainlink to them. Does this sound like it would work? Or is there a "proper" way of doing it? I'm not paying someone stupid money to come round and do what I could easily do by myself...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back