how to terminate swa

Sponsored Links
> Hot pipes; would cold really be a problem?

I understand the reasoning.
However consider if the cold pipe now were to have usage changed to hot someday.

I use a small battery powered angle grinder to cut heavy swa, especially when you get up towards 90mm. But dead useful for all sizes. If you haven't scored the armour, you can wrap some leccy tape around it to make sure your cut is straight all the way round. The one thing which cocks up swa termination is a stray armour strand longer than the others.

I thought you were not meant to cut non ferrous metals with an abrasive disc?

Sponsored Links
It's good practice to leave a little inner sheathing on to protect the conductors from the inside of the gland.

Also, I would have fitted the banjo washer flush with the box, inside or outside and drill through with a screw. This would provide a good bond to the box and would be easier to tighten up the screw.

thanks for the replies guys

i didnt see all of them untill now, wish i had seen them earlier but anyway i rigged up one end of the cable with he gland and what a hassle lol. The cone wouldnt go on so i used the nut to push it up and even that didnt work so i got my hammer and lightly tappe it closer then with the mokey wrenches managed to get it on, i check to make sure no damage and everything seemed good.

I dont know if i had this troube because the cable was small ( 1.5mm) or because its just normal.

Would love to hear what u guys think or whether u get this problem and what u usually do.

Also how do u suggest i connect the earth cable to the metal gland of the cable? currently i have just looped it into it but im thinking maybe wrap it around the the threaded connector and hen clamp it between the two nuts??

btw thank u very much jason1958 for ur detailed response :D

p.s i am not running water to anymore so no pipe...i will also post some pics once the job is done :)

i just realised why i had trouble with the cone!

becos the guide on wiki that i posted recommends putting everything on i did the same so when i tried pushing the cone up i had the trouble, if i had pu everything else then the cone i think i would have been ok I guess they did say it depends on the size of the cable lol

thanks for the replies guys

i didnt see all of them untill now, wish i had seen them earlier but anyway i rigged up one end of the cable with he gland and what a hassle lol. The cone wouldnt go on so i used the nut to push it up and even that didnt work so i got my hammer and lightly tappe it closer then with the mokey wrenches managed to get it on, i check to make sure no damage and everything seemed good.

I dont know if i had this troube because the cable was small ( 1.5mm) or because its just normal.
When you slid the back end of the gland and the olive over the cable, you did make sure the olive was the right way round, didn't you? They are tapered inside, and it should go on pretty easily if it hasn't been reversed...

Also how do u suggest i connect the earth cable to the metal gland of the cable? currently i have just looped it into it but im thinking maybe wrap it around the the threaded connector and hen clamp it between the two nuts??
Did you not wonder what the banjo was for?

Alternatively get some Piranha nuts...

the guide on wiki that i posted recommends putting everything on i did the same so when i tried pushing the cone up i had the trouble, if i had pu everything else then the cone i think i would have been ok I guess they did say it depends on the size of the cable lol
¿Que?

lol ignore what i said it doesnt make sense even when u have decoded it

does the tapered side go towards the end of the cable or away from it

i.e if 2 is where ur placing the gland kit does it face that way or will the tapered end sit facing 1?

1---------------2

Im guessing the tapered end sits facing 2 towards the end of the cable, will know for sure tmrw either way

Regarding the banjo i just looped the earth cable into it, is this correct? or should i just piranha it?

cheers bas

does the tapered side go towards the end of the cable or away from it
I find it really really alarming that something like that isn't blindingly obvious when you hold the parts in your hand and you can clearly see that the place the olive bears onto is also tapered.

Regarding the banjo i just looped the earth cable into it, is this correct?
No it's not.

I also find it really really alarming that you've completely failed to pay attention to either the article that you found, or the one in the Wiki that you were given, both of which show you how to use the banjo.

Bas when writing this i didnt actually have it in my had, it was around 2 am in the morning, i will take cone to the cable and tell u what side goes where :D

Regarding the banjo, the wiki from diynot only shows how to terminate the banjo on a metal backbox, im not terminating like that, u must have forgotten but im cliping it the wall at the head and in a couple of other places to hold it up then connecting it.

The wiki from wikipedia shows the same method as diynots except they say u can use piranhas...

What i was trying to find out was whether there were any other ways of connecting the earth to the banjo, but my brain seemed to of found its way to my bed before my body :D

You need a 6mm brass nut and bolt or a 6mm roofing nut and bolt. The you use a crimp lug with a 6mm hole and of suitable size for the earth flying lead.
This is used to secure the earth flying lead to the banjo.
I prefer to have the banjo on the inside of the enclosure and put the bolt through the wall of this to get a good secure fixing.
Got a job coming up where im going to use my free sample of an earth nut see how that goes.
Whatever you no make sure that the gland assembly and lock nut are tight to give a nice low resistance, I always advise the use of 3-core SWA to get a good solid earth.

cheers for that streetlighter, i think thats the best way with the nut and bolt.

will make sure everythings nice and tight

Bas when writing this i didnt actually have it in my had, it was around 2 am in the morning, i will take cone to the cable and tell u what side goes where :D
Yeah, but...

That means when you fitted the gland the other day you didn't notice the matching tapers at the time.

Regarding the banjo, the wiki from diynot only shows how to terminate the banjo on a metal backbox, im not terminating like that, u must have forgotten but im cliping it the wall at the head and in a couple of other places to hold it up then connecting it.
I know how that reads, to me, but please tell me I'm wrong.

Please tell me that you are going to have the gland fixed through a 20mm hole in something....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back