How to terminate these?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to terminate these sockets ideally from where the cable comes from ceiling.

Reason being I need to tnsk the whole wall and fil in voids behind... How do I terminate the cable coming down form ceiling?
There are two cbsles: 1 with red and earth cable, and the other with red, black and earth
IMG_20201208_121213.jpg
16074301430084581837318459342155.jpg

Sponsored Links
When you say "terminate these cables", what do you mean?

It looks to me as if there are two cables coming down from the ceiling then a third running from the bottom of the socket to the next socket on the RHS.

All cables should have 3 conductors connected at each point.

basically i want to remove the sockets and make the cables safe that come out of ceiling?

Do i connect them into a terminal block of some sort?

Then disconnect the other end of the cable. Is there a socket in the room above the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
I have bought a 30 amp Junction box.

16075113002273270792334591532698.jpg

Is it simply put both black cables in one terminal, both red in another, and both earth in the last one? They're not marked L, N, E.

cheers

it's just a temporary measure so i can take the back boxes off the wall, fill in with sand/cement where they chased them out, before i tank the whole wall with slurry. I am then getting my kitchen electrics re-dpne by an electrician so was going to get them to sort it all out when they do the kitchen.

cheers

Ah ok. I was concerned that you were going to bury the joint somwhere!

Yes, connect as you suggest above. Secure the cables so they cant pull out. Those round JBs do not have any strain relief.

1607517482117110171556719371036.jpg
Ah ok. I was concerned that you were going to bury the joint somwhere!

Yes, connect as you suggest above. Secure the cables so they cant pull out. Those round JBs do not have any strain relief.

great thanks for your help...

i also have another question if you don't mind...

i've just removed my old style cabled doorbell (yellow and red cable from doorbel and also yellow and red cable into chime unit. There is also another cable (yellow and red) coming form somewhere into the chime unit, leaving me with a yellow and red cable which are loose (i think live). I will be re plastering this area over the coming months. What is a safe way to permanently secure these two cables and "shove them into the wall before plastering"?

You can’t/do not want to leave live cables in the wall. You need to disconnect them from the supply. I guess that you have a bell transformer somewhere??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back