How to wire up 2 outside low voltage halogen lights to a PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post and looking for help in my first electrical DIY job in my new home.

Outside my front door there are 2 low voltage halogen lamps which are switched on and off by a switch located inside the house at the front door.I have bought a IQ Ceiling 360 PIR Movement Sensor from screwfix which has an instruction manual on the screwfix website but I dont know how to add a link to this post but I am struggling to make sense off the instruction manual.

The lights each have 2 twin and earth cables connected via terminal block where the two live and 2 neutral connect to the live and neutral of each light then to a transformer for each light.When the inside switch is off both lights have no power to them(test lamps used).

How do I wire up the PIR sensor with this arrangemant.The answer is probably easy but I need help.

cheers
graham

Sponsored Links
The PIR needs to go between the switch and the lights. I believe you said 1 switch controls both lights.

You say each light has 2 x twin and earth cables going to it. What is the other end of the cables? (the connections sound a little strange to me)

so do I connect the 4 twin and earth cables into the mains supply in (leaving the switch in the on position all the time) and connect the two cables for each light to the load out connection.there is a bridge wire from the live in to the switched load out wich the manual says is to be removed if switching DC loads

4 twin and earth cables?

I'm getting a bit lost as to what cables go where currently.
You should have one of the following arrangements -

1 - mains feed goes to a light fitting and then to the switch

2 - mains feed goes to the switch first and then to the light.

You should be able to tell, as if it goes to the light first, you'll have 2 lots of twin and earth at the light. If it goes to the switch first, you'll have one lot of twin and earth at the light.

(by one lot, I mean one grey or white sheath with a red/brown, black/blue and earth).

Sponsored Links
just remembered there is 40w tungsten bulb outside light which also comes on around the back of the house which may answer the 4 cables to the front door lights

4 twin and earth cables?

I'm getting a bit lost as to what cables go where currently.
You should have one of the following arrangements -

1 - mains feed goes to a light fitting and then to the switch

2 - mains feed goes to the switch first and then to the light.

You should be able to tell, as if it goes to the light first, you'll have 2 lots of twin and earth at the light. If it goes to the switch first, you'll have one lot of twin and earth at the light.

(by one lot, I mean one grey or white sheath with a red/brown, black/blue and earth).

there are 2 lots ( 2 grey sheath twin and earth cables ) at each front door light

In that case, power goes to the light fitting first. In the fitting, are the two lives connected together but not to the light?

In that case, power goes to the light fitting first. In the fitting, are the two lives connected together but not to the light?

no

wiring at each fitting is- both lives(red on twin and earth) connected through terminal block to brown of fitting and both neutrals(black on twin and earth )connected through terminal block to a blue for light fittting. eaths connected to each other

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back