How Tom connect new rads in loft conversion back to existing system ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. New here and this is my first post.
I have almost completed a loft conversion in my own home. All pipework and rads are in place. Soon I need to connect up my new plumbing to the existing flow and return pipe stubs ends coming up from downstairs.

My question is :
How do I get the pressure out of the existing system, in order that I can remove the speed fit stop ends currently on the flow and return pipes ?
I do not want to drain down the whole system - just remove enough pressure so as to stop getting my hands wet up in the new loft. !
Advice would be gratefully received !

Sponsored Links
First of all, you need to tell us what type of system you have, and how it is pressurised. Is the boiler fed from a storage tank. Something like this:

shopping

Or is it a system boiler that has to be pressurised manually by opening a valve and watching a dial / display until the operating pressure is reached, something like this:

images

Thanks Stem. It's the second pic. A Combi boiler. - A Glowworm. Meant to state that in the original post.

Isolate an upstairs rad or towel rail.
Put a tray or rubble sack underneath one of the valves.
Crack the union nut or 1/2" nut that goes from valve to rad/rail.
Allow rad water to dribble into tray or bag. Tightening nut back up and emptying full tray or bag into a bucket.
When rad empty, tighten nut and open valve - water from rest of system will flow in and reduce system pressure.

Or you can use a downstairs draincock (if present) to remove a bucket or two of water!

Or use the drain valve on the boiler.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back