How would you build a 19m retaining wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on the cheapest type of wall to retain soil from an empty field (no extra load)?

I've seen lots of options, concrete block work, gabions, kingpost with sleepers etc pro's and con's to all of them, but what would be the cheapest, and still do the job?

Aesthetics are irrelevent as the wall will be completely hidden by a new building - ideas please?

Dimensions:
1 section 10m x 1m
2nd section 10m x 1.5m

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think you would need to look at the various options and price them accordingly.
Whilst you say there is no extra load I think you may need to consider someone in the future may do something to change that. If they do then they may be responsible for strengthening it but they may need to encroach on your land to do so.

DIY or having a builder do it? Is it to replace an existing wall or completely new, will the earth the wall will be retaining need temporary support? Probably needs an engineer.

Sponsored Links
Gabions probably cheapest, and you could do it yourself. You need to be careful with a block wall. The main failure is overturning and even a 1m high block wall can do a lot of damage. My guess is you'd be looking at well over a block thick, at least at the base.

Or, maybe consider some of the landscaping retaining block options. These batter back so are simpler and don't usually require mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back