How would you build this 'porch'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'd like to hear your thoughts for a replacement conservatory/glorified porch that's sandwiched between two bay windows.

Here's what it used to look like:

And here's the space left once it was (mostly) ripped out

I'm mulling over the idea of linking the roofs over the bays together into one large span, with the central part extending out over the new room (including some roof lights to meet the 75% glazed roof requirement for it to be considered a conservatory). That drain you see coming out of the wall right above the door is not required so isn't an obstacle. It was from a sink in the upstairs bedroom that is now gone.

I'm aware that the steeper pitch with slate wouldn't allow for much height at the door of the sunroom as-is, but thankfully I need to drop the external ground level by about 8 inches to bring it below DPC of the main building anyway, so the floor of the new room will be considerably lower than today.

I've thrown some rough 1:50 sketches together with how it might look.
I can't decide, though, how to build it.

Should I do it with a simple timber frame and cladding like it was before? Build a dwarf wall tied into the bay walls and make a feature out of some nice oak framing in the upper half with some direct glazing? Do it all in masonry, like a small extension, and fit regular windows?

A complication is the side windows of the bay facing into the centre (You can see the rough proportions in the side view sketch)

Another factor to consider is that the old cement pebble-dash will be coming off and replaced with harling so it would be possible to visually tie the new room to the existing structure by extending the render onto it as well.

Cost isn't really a deciding factor, it's more about something that will be nice to sit in and nice to look at, that won't rot or fall down for a while.

Thankfully there are no planning restrictions or headaches, and since it's less than 8m2, I don't even need to worry about a warrant (I'm in Perth and Kinross for context).

What do you all think?

Cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back