How would you fix this shower leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Water is leaking through to my living room from the shower. I can see the water is coming from big pipe directly under the shower.
How would you repair it, more sealant or replace what’s there? Also how would you access it, make another hole in the living room ceiling or lift the shower tray up?

the original hole is from the plumber we paid to fix it but unfortunately whatever he did didn’t work.

TIA

Attachments

• 6E1EB61E-037A-42B2-8F55-0DFC0E2A2ECC.jpeg
    6E1EB61E-037A-42B2-8F55-0DFC0E2A2ECC.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
That large white pipe that the grey collar is on can't be the shower waste, too large, it looks like a white 110mm soil pipe.

Is it leaking down through where that white pipe comes down through the floor, so is there a shower connection into that pipe on the other side of that floor? Is the shower raised?

Ahhh ok so maybe water is travelling from the shower to the toilet pipe under the vinyl. I have noticed damp coming through the vinyl since this leak started. The leak only happens when the shower is on.

Attachments

• 9AEEEEBF-2CFB-46F7-8322-58C57FDAE0FA.jpeg
    9AEEEEBF-2CFB-46F7-8322-58C57FDAE0FA.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 223
It also explains why the plumber couldn’t find the leak when looking at the shower parts

Sponsored Links
Are you able to dry it off, run the shower and then check the joints? Possibly coming from the small white wastepipe connection?

Let it dry out and try and spot it by running various water outlets... Best way to identify where its coming from.

Do you mean pull the vinyl up and check where it’s coming from?

I can see through the living room it is definitely coming through to the ceiling by travelling down the toilet waste pipe.

Also how would you access it, make another hole in the living room ceiling

If you already have a hole in the ceiling perhaps make it larger so you can see where it is actually dripping from. That might not work though if it is above the floor and the water is simply making its way to an escape point.

If it only does it when the shower is running then the only way you can be sure is to lift the shower tray I'm afraid.

It may be running down past one of the wall seals/tiles or the seal around the waste. It's running down onto the flooring and along and down through the hole that the soil pipe runs down through. The plumber's tried to seal the hole up using silicone by the looks of it but that's was never going to work.

sometimes the waste on the tray can become loose - worth checking first if it needs tightening as the silicones look good in that shower room

I do have a lose tile which I’ll fix first , but I think the leak started before that became loose and the lose tile is from where I resealed the shower in the hope of fixing the leak.

how do I check the waste on the tray?

I do have a lose tile which I’ll fix first , but I think the leak started before that became loose and the lose tile is from where I resealed the shower in the hope of fixing the leak.

how do I check the waste on the tray?

Pull the silver cover out, remove little basket / trap thingy inside. You will see that the waste has little grooves or teeth. See if you can turn it clockwise. If you can then it means it loose. This happens a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back