How would you lay these tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wall lenghth is 172cm, with a window.

39cm wall to left, then 98cm window, then 35cm to right.
Tiles are 25cm wide.

How would a real tiler lay it out?
I assume you'll try the first two ways I did, and reject them!

Sponsored Links
Presuming the grout joint width is included in the 25 cm dimension given...

I'd put the vertical grout joint 34.5 cm to the right of the left side of the window.

That would mean you'd be cutting tiles approximately 15.5 cm wide going up the left side of the window and 23.5 cm wide going up the left wall so that if either one wasn't perfectly straight or vertical, you'd have a bit better than a half inch of wiggle room.

On the right side, you'd be cutting tiles 11.5 cm wide going up the right side of the window, and 23.5 cm wide going up the right wall, so you'd have the same wiggle room on the right side as well.

Or, at least, that's how I'd prolly do it. (But, I do strange things.)

ChrisR, a lot depends on where the door is and which wall you're facing as you enter the room. Also where the light mostly falls.

My second choice as a tiling strategy for this wall would probably be to just spread the tile adhesive all over the wall and leave it like that.

I said I do strange things.

Sponsored Links
It's full in you face when you enter the room, so I first thought of centering the tiles or the grout line, on the window, but you get skinny strips.
Nestor you're right, you can center the tiles on the wall without the window looking too bad. Better check the wall isn't 5cm wider at the top than the bottom.

I've done diamondwise tiling, but don't fancy that with these cos they're rectangular. :!: :!: I could do herringbone at a wacky angle all round the room... :LOL:

"but don't fancy that with these cos they're rectangular."

Why don't you do something strange for a change?

Why not set those rectangular tiles on the wall in landscape mode instead of portrait mode. I like doing that because you rarely (if ever) see it done and there's absolutely no reason not to do it. So, that allows you to get a custom tile look using plain jane tiles.

I've been doing that in all the bathrooms I've tile in my building over the past 7 or 8 years or so. It's provides a different (and custom) look at no additional cost, next to no additional trouble or expense, and it lets everyone know that whoever did that tiling had enough confidence in his ability that he wasn't afraid to venture off the beaten path. It just makes the tiling distinctive because you just don't see that done every day.

But, like I say, I do strange things. I like to freak people out on Halloween by opening my mouth so wide that my head turns inside out.

That's something else you don't see every day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back