Howden immersion element???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the lower immersion element in a two element tank. The units appear to be Howden WE 3K (according to the cover identification markings) secured by four fixings.

The thing thats confusing me is both elements appear to be the same part numbers - would this be ok? I assumed the lower part number to be ok as that appears to incorporate a circulator....http://www.howden-electroheating.com/pi/pi-we.html is it unusual for the upper element to be the same one?

I'm reluctant to go and place an order for the wrong part as the person is a pensioner and has already forked out on an unnecessary boost controller unit.

Advice welcome before i start.

Sponsored Links
I need to replace the lower immersion element in a two element tank. The units appear to be Howden WE 3K (according to the cover identification markings) secured by four fixings.

The thing thats confusing me is both elements appear to be the same part numbers - would this be ok? I assumed the lower part number to be ok as that appears to incorporate a circulator....http://www.howden-electroheating.com/pi/pi-we.html is it unusual for the upper element to be the same one?

No not unusual at all

I'm reluctant to go and place an order for the wrong part as the person is a pensioner and has already forked out on an unnecessary boost controller unit.

why, who misdiagnosed it in the first place?

have you tested the element ? its more likely the stat has gone than the element.

Sponsored Links
I would say the same heater could be used in either position. The 'circulator' appears to be just a shroud around the element with an outlet facing upwards.

I would guess the shroud reduces the mixing of heated and unheated water in the cylinder, with the intention of making a small amount of hotter water available at the outlet faster than an unshrouded element would.

The 4-bolt flange would be a necessary part of the design, as a normal screw-in fitting could leave the 'circulator' outlet facing in any random direction. That also means a conventional screw-in element isn't going to fit the flange :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back