Economy 7 Immersion heater stopped working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been working OK for two years then I decided to lower the thermostat setting ever so slightly (just received the electricity bill!) at it didn't work that evening.

The cause/effect is obvious, too much of a coincidence to be anything else, but what could be 'broken' just by adjusting the thermostat?

I've adjusted the setting back to original and then to maximum with no effect. I've depressed the reset 'thing' on the thermostat which didn't do anything.

I've bought and fitted a new thermostat, again with no effect.

The boost is working OK fortunately.

We had a new Consumer Unit fitted a couple of years ago and the Immersion switch isn't tripping out.

The layout is; electricty into the house (meter box), to the consumer unit (I think the economy 7 goes to two switches, Immersion and Storage Heaters), consumer unit to switch in the airing cupboard, switch to heating element/thermostat.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
check the immersion getting power with a multi meter.
if its getting power check the immersion for resistance.

Does this have to be after midnight when the Economy 7 kicks in?

is it eco 7 timer running 2 immersions. ?
image_4259.jpg

Sponsored Links
best you wait till your low tariff kicks in then.

whats it got on the switch in the airing cupboard neon light etc ?

i've seen the pics.

the white cable out of the immersion what does that go into a fused spur etc ?

... just on & off

Sorry - having trouble post a photo of the mains set up...

either wait till later.
or take the white cable that gos to the immersion and put a plug on it and try it from a socket just to test the immersion.

you said you had a boost aswell immersion ?

That's just going outside my comfort of home electronics. If I start dabbling I can see me being a blackened crisp.

My brother-in-law's got a multi meter, I'll speak to him to progress the testing.

Really appreciate your advice on this, it's been a great help.

Thanks Karl.

Vic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back