HP v Kw some thing seems wrong.

Sponsored Links
...and the power output of cars is now measured in Ps (metric horsepower):

Screenshot_20221124-010435_Chrome.jpg

...although I do wonder where they get all their metric horses from! :LOL:

...and the power output of cars is now measured in Ps (metric horsepower):

View attachment 286638

...although I do wonder where they get all their metric horses from! :LOL:
I wondered about that as well. Decades ago I worked with horses but never came into contact with a metric one, though there were some that clearly didn't understand English commands ;)
Anyway PS is very close to the BHP rating that is well understood, well at least by those of us of a certain age.

Sponsored Links
Metric and "international" horsepower are so close as to be used interchangeably. I think 1 "horsepower" is something like 1.013 "metric horsepower". You couldn't even power the sidelights with the difference.

Metric and "international" horsepower are so close as to be used interchangeably. I think 1 "horsepower" is something like 1.013 "metric horsepower". You couldn't even power the sidelights with the difference.
In this case, 220 "British (imperial - not bhp) horsepower" would equal 164kW - a difference of 2.2kW from Ps.
Them would be some sidelights! ;)

In my day (back in the 'sixties) BHP was normally quoted GROSS which I assume was about the same as engine testbed figures & this made the car seem more powerful than it really was as transmission/drivetrain losses were not factored in. Then terms such as NET & SAE started to appear & car makers, at least in the UK, continued to use a mix of all three expressions so it became impossible for any potential purchaser to compare what was really on offer.

There's a whole regulation now, on how manufacturers must quote it (atmospheric conditions altitude correction, a particular fuel specification, what ancillaries have to be fitted, etc). It's quite hard for them to cheat on engine power claims these days.

How many kW is a horse?

Haw many kilowatts in a horsepower? 1 horsepower is equal to 0.74569987 kilowatts, which is the conversion factor from horsepowers to kilowatts. Go ahead and convert your own value of hp to kW in the converter below. For other conversions in power, use the power conversion tool.
It seems I was wrong and got the conversion wrong way around.

Give them time and they will find a way ;)
I used to work for a sports car manufacturer tht was famous for its somewhat "optimistic" power output claims, but the regulations have largely killed that off now. After the VW emissions scandal, the EU brought in extra market surveillance powers and gave itself new powers to fine manufacturers for misdemeanours. They can now do random spot-checks (which they always could), but fine the manufacturer up to €30,000 per non-compliant vehicle (which has focused the manufacturers' attention somewhat...) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back