huge Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope image is ok but i have a huge eath cable running floor to fuse box just behind front door, I would like to hide this in wall cavity, any rrason why this should be unsafe to do ?
20210122_102449.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is NOT an Earth cable,. it is the electrical supply cable to you house from the street. It should be supported by clamps to the wall. It should NOT be hanging from the cutout. ( the box with the main electrical fuse )

It appears that the cable gland has become detached from the cutout and the full weight of the cable is now hanging only by the conductors ( Live and Neutral ).

upload_2021-1-22_10-44-19.png

This needs urgent attentions from the DNO ( District Network Operator ) who are responsible for the cable and the cutout.

Use this to find your DNO https://www.energynetworks.org/operating-the-networks/whos-my-network-operator and contact them to arrange for the cable to be made safe.

DO NOT attempt any DIY on this cable,

That is NOT an Earth cable,. it is the electrical supply cable to you house from the street. It should be supported by clamps to the wall. It should NOT be hanging from the cutout. ( the box with the main electrical fuse )

It appears that the cable gland has become detached from the cutout and the full weight of the cable is now hanging only by the conductors ( Live and Neutral ).

View attachment 219566

This needs urgent attentions from the DNO ( District Network Operator ) who are responsible for the cable and the cutout.

Use this to find your DNO https://www.energynetworks.org/operating-the-networks/whos-my-network-operator and contact them to arrange for the cable to be made safe.

DO NOT attempt any DIY on this cable,
If you haven't taken this advice yet
DO IT NOW

I reported a similar state of affairs to a householder, the cable moved every time the door opened and had cracked the lead sheath, resulting in loss of earth, DNO called same day and sorted it

Sponsored Links
Hi Bernard
They assessed it and they want to bury the cable outside of the property entering the property above the door, they said they may also replace the whole board, waiting for a call for when they are returning to do the work.

That will be a better solution then there is no danger of someone hanging a coat rack behind the door, (yes, people do silly things like that), and drilling through it if it's buried.
If they haven't contacted you by tomorrow lunch time give them another ring and keep ringing until they do it. If you have little children then keep them away from it in the meantime. Take your eyes of them and they may use it as a climbing rope or something. You would not like the result.
Keep us all informed as to progress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back