Huge electric bills???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my electric bills are sky high - £130 per month!!

Does anyone think it would be worth changing the consumer box or could it be down to dodgy wiring inside?

I've had the outside line tested and that's not the problem and my meter is only 3 years old.

I use the tumble dryer twice per day but that's the only thing I can think of that's heavy on electric??

Someone please help, it's like paying another mortgage!!!

please note forum rule 5, your title has been edited

Sponsored Links
immersion heater? electric cooker? Washing machine? Winter heating? Electric shower? and of course the tumble drier.

Turn everything off, and take a chair and sit by the electricity meter. If it's still going round see what else you can turn off. If it still goes round when everything is turned off, try turning off your MCBs and see what circuit is using it. If it still goes round when all circuits and even your main switch is turned off, then perhaps there is a fault somewhere. Then put on your washing machine, tumble drier and immersion heater, and watch it whiz round a lot faster. Sadly it is more likely you are using electricity and not aware of how much you are using over the year.

For a week, get in the habit of reading it every day. Work out how much you are using and what it should cost.

Have a look at your electricity bills and see if the reading they show is accurate or estimated.

Look at your winter usage because you are presumably paying a regular monthly amount, and your usage is higher in the winter.

A 3kw electric heater costs about 27p per hour to run. So does an immersion heater and a tumble drier. An electric shower costs two or three times as much. Women seem to have more trouble adjusting to temperatures than men, and turn heaters on and off a lot.

daglish74 said:

Does anyone think it would be worth changing the consumer box or could it be down to dodgy wiring inside?

Neither of these will make any difference to your electric bill.

You need to find out what it is that is using all that electric. Have a look at the meter and see how fast the disc is spinning (on older meters) or how fast the LED is pulsing (on newer meters).

When you see the meter spinning faster than normal, or if it normally spins quite quickly, then try turning off each circuit one at a time at the fuse box. When you find the circuit that is using alot of power, the meter will spin slower.

Once you have identified the 'problem' circuit you need to see what is connected to this circuit, by going roung and seeing what has stopped working.

You then need to start tracking down further from there.

Just a thought, do you have an immersion heater?
Do you normally use it?
Could it have got switched on / left on by mistake?

<edit> He's a quick typer, that JohnD

Sponsored Links
Fit a plug in timer on the tumble dryer, fit a timer on the immersion and use economy 7 electricity at night (much cheaper). Our Washing Machine, Dishwasher, Tumble Dryer and Storage heater in my shed all come on at 02:00 and we don't have a bill anything like yours.

Regards - J

I haven't got an electric shower or an immersion heater, got a combi.

Thanx i'll try all of that over this next week!

johnb80 said:
Fit a plug in timer on the tumble dryer, fit a timer on the immersion and use economy 7 electricity at night (much cheaper). Our Washing Machine, Dishwasher, Tumble Dryer and Storage heater in my shed all come on at 02:00 and we don't have a bill anything like yours.

Regards - J

This is only any good if you have a dual tarrif meter.

JohnD said:
immersion heater? electric cooker? Washing machine? Winter heating? Electric shower? and of course the tumble drier.

Turn everything off, and take a chair and sit by the electricity meter. If it's still going round see what else you can turn off. If it still goes round when everything is turned off, try turning off your MCBs and see what circuit is using it. If it still goes round when all circuits and even your main switch is turned off, then perhaps there is a fault somewhere. Then put on your washing machine, tumble drier and immersion heater, and watch it whiz round a lot faster. Sadly it is more likely you are using electricity and not aware of how much you are using over the year.

For a week, get in the habit of reading it every day. Work out how much you are using and what it should cost.

Have a look at your electricity bills and see if the reading they show is accurate or estimated.

Look at your winter usage because you are presumably paying a regular monthly amount, and your usage is higher in the winter.

A 3kw electric heater costs about 27p per hour to run. So does an immersion heater and a tumble drier. An electric shower costs two or three times as much. Women seem to have more trouble adjusting to temperatures than men, and turn heaters on and off a lot.

RF Lighting said:
johnb80 said:

Regards - J

This is only any good if you have a dual tarrif meter.

JohnD said:

RF Lighting said:
daglish74 said:

Neither of these will make any difference to your electric bill.

You need to find out what it is that is using all that electric. Have a look at the meter and see how fast the disc is spinning (on older meters) or how fast the LED is pulsing (on newer meters).

When you see the meter spinning faster than normal, or if it normally spins quite quickly, then try turning off each circuit one at a time at the fuse box. When you find the circuit that is using alot of power, the meter will spin slower.

Once you have identified the 'problem' circuit you need to see what is connected to this circuit, by going roung and seeing what has stopped working.

You then need to start tracking down further from there.

Just a thought, do you have an immersion heater?
Do you normally use it?
Could it have got switched on / left on by mistake?

<edit> He's a quick typer, that JohnD

daglish74 said:

I think we've got the message ;)

other things that can ramp up the units 500w hologen lights in the garden on badly set up pirs

electric "oil filled"radiators

if you have lots off gadgets on standby the average is about 10 to 20%of full consumption on standby

if you have 2 or 3 computers on for half the day your talking up to 25 units a week or £4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back