HELP! - Really big problem with HUGE bill!!!!

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician, but looking at the figures quoted it can only be a mis reading surely. If this sort of fault was within your house it would have burned down log ago. :LOL:

I have turned stuff of and on and tried to ID any major leak but it just seems to be incremental.
I didn't notice this sentence on the first reading - what does this mean, exactly? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I went to a chaps house and his pump was costing £500 per year as it was on 24/7.
So is mine. 55 watts. 481.5KW/year. £57 @12p/kw.

He must have had a big pond.

The "friendly" bacteria in the pond filter die if you turn off the pump for any length, since there is no water.

Unlikely we are paying for the street as we are in the middle of nowhere and the meter is inside the house

Hi
Did you just have one circuit tripping out or the whole house trips out?
I suggest that you take readings of your meter over a 24hr period for instance at 8am then at the same time 24hrs later
ring your supplier and ask to speak to a supervisor sometimes you can get more sense from them
I have had problems over the years with powergen/E on for instance i had my meter readings transposed , readings from a meter that was removed and was in the back of one of their vans and i still get bills for an economy 7 meter that was removed two years ago even though i have no storage heaters installed.
I manage my account on line and always check the readings that the bill is based upon and submit the correct ones if the estimates are wrong which they normally are.
regards

Firstly I am kinda glad the house hasn't burned down - no funny smells

Softus - what i meant was I have a rcd panels with about 10 circuits on it
I went through these at a time of quite heavy usage - saturday afternoon with everyone up etc and one by one switched them off to see if there was one big power drain culprit - nothing
I was working till 10.30 last night so was unable to shut everything down and test for the wheel moving. will do tonight.

As for the tripping dcwuk, the whole house trips out.
As i said its been better lately - once a week maybe.
Used to be 10 times a day.
we have identified some culprits that will do it every time - plugging in my laptop will often trigger it, but other times it happens when we are all sitting with nothing on. I tried everything thinking it might be a thermostat switching on or something - turning fridges, freezers boilers off. you name it.

i don't suppose Uninterruptible power supplies are bad are they?
I have 2 because the tripping was so bad i had to reset my sky box and computer 10 times a day!

I had no idea British Gas were quite so incompetent at estimating and billing.
I feel so foolish for having done the 'leave it to us' on the bill....

managed to get online to my account they have been estimating, if that is the word 1 or 2 units a month - but billing us by ddebit pretty standard amounts of money. That's why we didn't spot anything in our bills - the money has been going out. we are busy people, they do it for a living etc

A misreading a long time a go is a possibility
I will start a diary of usage today - thanks
The thought that 2 figure were transposed on a reading some time ago and we have been estimated since makes a lot of sense, and rings true
as i am pretty much numerically dyslexic and will dial a telephone number wrong as it is read out to me. odd i know but it is just how my brain is wired
but THAT will be pretty hard to prove - if you are getting bills for rads that are in the back of a van!

my supply trips out when there are high winds maybe two or three times a day however last time the supply was going off and on like a yo-yo.
I rang E.on they told me it was down to the supplier of the electricity not themselves. E.on presumably consider themselves re-sellers :rolleyes:
What a carry on
:eek:

cheers

E.on presumably consider themselves re-sellers :rolleyes:
What a carry on
:eek:

cheers
They are re-sellers. But they also have a duty of care to forward your problem to the relevant regional DNO, the people who maintain the lines.

If BG is your supplier, and you have online access, you may find that they have a graph of usage and a list of past meter readings with dates that you can access when you sign on to https://www.britishgas.co.uk/Login/Login-Verify/ . It should say if they are estimated, by meter reader, or customer supplied.
It looks something like:

Account Type Register Type Meter Reading Date Reading Type Meter Reading Consumption Average Consumption Cumulative Consumption Unit of measure

Energy Single Use (24 hr Rate) 11 Aug 2008 Customer read 219 181.0 10.06 84040.0 Kilowatt Hrs

Energy Single Use (24 hr Rate) 24 Jul 2008 Meter Reader 38 38.0 12.67 83859.0 Kilowatt Hrs
(you will have to imagine the column layout)

Print out this list and keep it safe in case it disappears.

You can input your own meter readings as often as you want - once a week is OK - and it will calculate average daily usage since last meter reading for you (this is one of the columns in the table). It is very important that you take and record meter readings yourself at frequent intervals.

If the house is in shared occupation, look for any sign that there is a shed supply, heater in greenhouse, growing lamps in loft (this is more common than you would think)

It would be interesting to see a photo of your meter, consumer unit(s), incoming supply and company fuse, and the various cables between them.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Feel all the cables you can see in case they are warm - they should not be.

p.s. you can get a "Clamp Meter" that you put on (one of) the meter tails and it will tell you how many amps are passing through it - I use one occasionally - there are some quite cheap ones available - what are others' opinions on whether it is worthwhile getting one? They do not work on flex or twin and earth - only on single cables (unless you buy a more expensive and sophisticated meter)

Hi John

I am online and have already printed out the usage but it is all estimated and so has no real info within it ( other than how bad they are at estimating)

I have started keeping a diary and will start to input hem as you suggest

no shared occupation -

i have taken some photos and will try to upload them

no warm cables.....

thanks

How far back do the Estimated readings go?

Is the latest Actual reading consistent with what the meter actually says now?

Haven't you had meter readers putting cards through your door every few months saying "sorry you were out... please phone with your meter reading"?

The readings go back a couple of years - all estimated

the current is consistent with the actual

no.... No cards ( but we do have gates -but that does not seem to stop anyone else though (from postman to countless other deliveries)

I have taken some shots and uploaded them but cant seem to point to the gallery......

you link photos by copy and paste the "DIYnot BBCode" which looks like
[net]105406/3768_89923731.jpg[/net]

and it will show

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back