Hundreds of flies in the attic.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed on many occasions that there are a few flies in the attic, however recently there are hundreds.

It started in the early summer, I left the attic trap open and when I went back upstairs a few hours later there were hundreds of flies all over the landing window.

Today I went up there and saw a ball of flies as big as a melon. They soon dispersed when I sprayed some hairspray at them, all I could find at the time, but quite a few dropped imobilised soon after. When I poked the darkness in the apex of the attic, loads more flies came tumbling out from behind thin sheets of hardboard which the previous owner had clad the roof with.

There are also hundreds of tiny flies too, mixed in with the larger flies.

I have noticed sawdust and small holes on the main purlins, so are these flies responsible for them?

It was so bad, I had to get out as they were in my hair, eyes, ears....

Is it just me or does anyone else have a scene from the Exorcist in their attic?

Sponsored Links
After posting, some similar threads appeared at the bottom of the page, so now I am educated.
These are cluster flies, they come back year after year to the same spot, but there are no solid suggestions to deal with them except flyspray, insecticides that require the surface to be hoovered clean prior to application, flypaper or an insectacutor device.

Not sure if any of the above is viable as there are just too many flies.

Looks like I'll have to clear out the Christmas decs, the 'old but too good to throw away' toys and all the other 'essential to keep and must not throw away' objects in order to use sprays or bug bombs.

Maybe an industrial sized insectacutor?

Sponsored Links
Indeed, my wife has already corrected me regarding my horror film mistake.
;)

The solution to ridding them from my attic is.... none. They will always return, the best option is to control them with a cypermetherin treatment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back