HW cylinder location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to develop the first floor of my chalet bungalow to include a bathroom. I intend to relocate the cw storage cistern into the loft, it is currently in the first floor eaves. The question is that the hw cylinder is currently on the ground floor, will this need to be relocated to a higher position eg first floor? My understanding is that it is just the cold water storage cistern that needs to be higher up to give the water pressure for the bathrooms.

Sponsored Links
You are correct in thinking the cold tank gives the pressure.

you are correct, but remember to take into account the weight of the storage tank when you relocate it, 1 litre of water weighs about 1kg

What are you putting in this bathroom - a bath weighs a fair old bit. I assume that you are aware that this work will require council department approval.

Sponsored Links
What are you putting in this bathroom - a bath weighs a fair old bit. I assume that you are aware that this work will require council department approval.
Yes, the council will be involved, we know building regs need to be complied with. The first floor is already developed into a room which will be subdivided. The floor is on 7x2 joists so should be OK. I just wondered if it would be ok to leave the cylinder on the ground floor.

Yes, the council will be involved, we know building regs need to be complied with. The first floor is already developed into a room which will be subdivided. The floor is on 7x2 joists so should be OK. I just wondered if it would be ok to leave the cylinder on the ground floor.
Yes it will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back