Hypertension / blood pressure and relationships

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to regularly do sets of home BP readings, for my surgery and hospital consultant. What I am noticing is, that in a frustrating partner relationship it can rise and remain dramatically high, yet in a relaxed relationship the values recorded drop. I had no idea a relationship could make such a difference.

Sponsored Links
God yes.

It's documented that having a pet can lower your blood pressure, so having a human relationship will certainly have an effect.

Not trying to pry, but is your BP high at the moment?

My Doc tells me 120/70 is ideal but has given me a bit of leeway, up to 140/90.

I have massive trouble with White Coat Syndrome.

I can do my BPs at home no worries, but if I go to a clinic or hospital, my BP shoots up massively.

God yes.

It's documented that having a pet can lower your blood pressure, so having a human relationship will certainly have an effect.

Having had an unnoticed by me stroke in the distant past, the stroke consultant wanted me to maintain 150 to 160, to avoid future strokes. Having suffered kidney damage CKD4, the kidney consultant wants my BP down at 130. If mine does become as low as 120, such as after a hot bath, then I tend to go a bit dizzy and need to collapse somewhere until it recovers.

Coming up to a consultation appointment, the kidney consultant wanted a set of home readings, so 10 days ago I began logging them and they were up at 180. I've recently started a different BP med and I was about to complain the med wasn't working.

For months I've been in a very frustrating relationship, going nowhere, whilst at the same time recently - just beginning a new one at a distance. She came for the first visit on Friday, to spend a long weekend here, and I continued to log my BP, until today and what I noticed, was my BP gradually dropped to a very acceptable 140. I was amazed at the dramatic effect such a thing could have on blood pressure.

The weekend went very well indeed, BTW.. Plan is to kick the frustration into touch :)

Sponsored Links
God yes.

Mine was 146/96 yesterday. I’m on 5mg Amlodipine tablets.

You might get some improvement by just sitting still and quietly while breathing slowly for a while before the reading.

If you're the kind of person who gets wound up about things in general (think Victor Meldrew) then your readings will be all over the place, but that's because this is the actual effect that you are genuinely having on yourself, it's not an anomaly of the measurement. I know the sort in the form of my in-laws, despite my best efforts to take no notice I'm sure they affect my blood pressure too.

Measurements or not, getting regularly wound up about things is definitely not good for you.

They fit me with a monitor that I had to keep for 3 days.
The consultant questioned why my blood pressure and heartbeat was shooting up at around 11pm every night, then dropping to normal levels.
She only had to look at the wife's face for the answer, while I just laughed :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

They fit me with a monitor that I had to keep for 3 days.
The consultant questioned why my blood pressure and heartbeat was shooting up at around 11pm every night, then dropping to normal levels.
She only had to look at the wife's face for the answer, while I just laughed :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wife knows about your computer usage, then?

Mine was 146/96 yesterday. I’m on 5mg Amlodipine tablets.

10mg Amlodipine, 16mg Doxazosin - which they doubled a couple months back, because my BP was still too high. I've been on it a few months now - my previous med was working fine for the BP, but was causing a concealingly high level of Potassium.

For months I've been in a very frustrating relationship, going nowhere, whilst at the same time recently - just beginning a new one at a distance. She came for the first visit on Friday, to spend a long weekend here

You are a bit of a lad Harry. Good luck.

You might get some improvement by just sitting still and quietly while breathing slowly for a while before the reading.

I get the opposite effect - my BP goes low, with the slightest physical effort - Then high, sitting about relaxed.

If you're the kind of person who gets wound up about things in general (think Victor Meldrew) then your readings will be all over the place, but that's because this is the actual effect that you are genuinely having on yourself, it's not an anomaly of the measurement. I know the sort in the form of my in-laws, despite my best efforts to take no notice I'm sure they affect my blood pressure too.

Measurements or not, getting regularly wound up about things is definitely not good for you.

Yep, I do sometimes get wound up, but I do tend to enjoy being able to face up to problems..

Sponsored Links
Back