I am a fool

poxi said:
Got home from work one night, Emptied my pockets out and found a test nipple amongst my loose change..Knew it was a puma so had to dash back and make an excuse that i had left my screwdriver inside the boiler. Very very lucky they were none the wiser

I've never actually done that , but a few times i have convinced myself that i had not done up the test nipple and drove all the way back to the job to check.

Sponsored Links
scatmanjohn said:
poxi said:
Got home from work one night, Emptied my pockets out and found a test nipple amongst my loose change..Knew it was a puma so had to dash back and make an excuse that i had left my screwdriver inside the boiler. Very very lucky they were none the wiser

I've never actually done that , but a few times i have convinced myself that i had not done up the test nipple and drove all the way back to the job to check.

Same here, plays the old brain up the older you get :D
Harsh lesson, i got so set in my ways i always test for gas leaks even if i not changing gas parts. Dont wont to loose any more hair out of my nearly balding plumbers head worrying

Large accommodation block built on the back of of a pub, 6 soil pipes dropping from the first floor in the main corridor and the lot is blocked up.

Stood there looking and the maintenance man says leave it to me son, as he starts to unscrew the the access cap I said I wouldn't do that mate :LOL: :LOL:

I know what I'm doing say he, so I got out fast.

yep you guest it the whole lot was floating down the corridor and into the rooms. :LOL: :LOL: the entire ground floor needed new carpets.

Was working in Boots in Bognor high street and turned the mains off in the pavement one busy Saturday morning.

Done the job turned the stopcock back on and the body came out of the valve :eek: 30ft gusher and lots of very wet people :LOL:

boulter pathfinder......... undid what i thought was flue test plug.

freakin plug on the water jacket.. ooops. 1/4" i hasten to add, so easy mistake to make(ahem) fortunately it was in a garage (amen)

Sponsored Links
TotalQualityManagement.gif

Had to cut a tee into a cold supply in a large kitchen. Thought to be quick and couldnt really be bothered to brave the full cellar i'd freeze it. 20 mins and 1 can of polar thought must be plugged. cut it to find it was a gas supply. That NG just wont freeze :oops:

Chaff Celtic - to remove microswitches from top of diverter valve, do not unscrew anything. You find out why when the water hits the ceiling.

--

Lost a cheap manometer. Nothing unusual in that, I reckon there must be about 4 in the van somewhere. Then I remembered I'd left it attached to a meter in a kitchen cupboard, with the CH on. Two days ago. Couldn't get back in until two more days. It was still there, happily without falling over and losing its water...

Monday morning, One and a half hour drive to first job. Open back of van and realise no toolbox, why? because it's in my kitchen next to the washing machine I'd fixed on the Saturday. doh!
Theres a lot to be said for a 'Leatherman'

Blimey charlie

I have done the same

had to go back to streatham once to re spray a BP point cos i could not remember doint it, i had done it

left my tool box behind countless times too

Well I suppose I might as well join in this thread which has become quite a confession session.

Circa 1984. Not long out of my apprenticeship, fitting a water meter in a garden of a 1950's bungalow in a village with about 200 ish houses in it and a pub. Had done quite a few underground bursts and knew that old lead could be fairly tough to cut.
Cutting merrily away into this this lead pipe which strangely seemed thicker than normal with a fairly blunt hacksaw blade. Put a new blade in and just when the penny dropped >
>
>
>
>
>

BANG

A great big flash before my eyes which I then opened miraculously to find that I was still alive!

I still have what was left of that hacksaw blade just to remind me not to do it again.

Fortunately I had lost my hacksaw just 3 weeks before and the new one had a ceramic coating which saved me from a Jackson Five haircut or even worse. I never felt a thing.

Haha, these stories are funny as !

God knows ive done a few silly things as well. Most famously was changing all the diverter valve & hw heat ex o-rings on a Worcester 24 or 28 cdi (summit like that) due to a leak, a job i have done on a few occasions in the past. Started draining the c/h and thinking "while thats going ill start taking the filling loop/water section apart" - you know the bits where the white key goes, make access a bit easier. Unfortunately i had forgotten to turn the water supply off...DUH !! A lovely ice cold indoor swimming pool in 30secs flat, albeit 3 floors up in a block of flats :LOL: .

quality thread :cool:

Drove from burnley to bolton for a job for work..opened van and no tools..in my house. bolox. improvised the service.. :oops:

Red hot blowlamp on carpet..u know the rest..

gas to ch pipe..i did below, otherlad doing combi in cupboard above. somehow got wires crossed and pipes mixed up. I turned water on, opened a tap...thought wheres the water. then it dawned. turn the fuOOkin filling loop off! Left main open and at the cooker point in the kitchen and got most of the water out.

went back a month later to fit a cooker, took the 1/2" bung out and was met by water- oh yeah i thought its this house..let it drain then fitted cooker. :LOL:

Reversing the old transit half on the kerb half off. NO REAR WINDOWS...
CRACK!........................ BOOM!

nearly jumped outa my seat- concrete lampost obliterated on the deck. :oops:

Couple of mates picked up the key from a neighbour in they go and get cracking fitting the heating as they where locking up at night the dog is sitting on the doorstep they coax it back in and lock up

Next morning the foreman shouts them over and says the woman is not happy about the dog..

They reply whats her problem it took us ages to get it back in

He replies it is not her f##king dog..... oops

I left my manometer at a boiler repair last week! Trouble is they were going away for three weeks just the next day!

My favourite is when I had quoted THREE different places for a new stopcock. Client chose the cheapest! Typical!

Later he came to look at the new stopcock. He expected it would be in another ( more costly ) location.

As he was thinking about it, my blowlamp, conveniently placed nearby, was burning a hole in his jeans!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back