I am not alone...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm so glad I popped in here. We've just bought a three bed, first floor flat in a sandstone building, built c. 1900. We knew there had been an issue with dampness in the past, but believed it to have been fixed. If only that was the case...

So far:
1. We've had to replace the central heating pipework as it was old plastic stuff, that was leaking;

2. We had to lift lino in the kitchen to facilitate the replacement of the pipework, only to find that there was a layer of plywood. No issues there...apart from the fact that it had been glued, nailed and screwed to the floor!

3. Much like another poster, we were removing wallpaper--actually 8 layers of wallpaper, all over one another--and found a piece of plasterboard on a solid plaster wall. Removing it revealed a cupboard...quite a large cupboard infact.

4. We had to remove the tiles that were in the bathroom, and revealed yet more plywood. So, yes, it had to come up too. Once again, it was glued, nailed & screwed to the floor. Oh, and did I mention the tell-tale signs of woodworm? So, the wood needed treated in the bathroom.

5. Removed some wet plasterboard above the bay window, with the intention of replacing it. Joy of joys! Revealed two large rusty steel beams. Don't know how good they are, or what condition they are in.

6. Bedrooms, hall & living room were all covered in laminiate. So, lifted that to reveal floorboards that have been lifted so many times, they are either cracked, broken, or loose. So, you now have to tip-toe and dance up the hall, to get to the living room, rather than the downstairs neighbours living room!

Despair? :cry: Upset? :mad: Frustrated? :eek: All of the above.

Still, as everyone keeps telling us, "It'll be worth it in the end!" Yeah right. If I's a £1 every time someone's said that, I could pay for someone to go in and do it all, then just hand back the keys.

Pockets are getting empty but I'm actually, in a perverse sort of way, enjoying it...getting my hands dirty and doing things myself, rather than pay for someone else to do it.

BTW, kidney for sale. One careful owner...... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well if you think positive, you'll know a LOT more about your property than if you'd just moved in and added another layer of wallpaper :rolleyes:

You are not alone, yes many of us have been there,on the bright side you probably have more to find :D It's true tho,you will overcome these problems and the outcome is a good feeling, take photo's for prosterity,it helps!

Sponsored Links
I certainly know more about it, that's for sure. I also know more than I ever wanted to know about Victorian construction!

We have been taking pictures, for a before & after feel, and although it's a pain in the ar$e...we're getting there! :)

If only I'd a £ for every time someone's said that to me...

One of the best things for me about renovating and refurbishing a house is peeling back the layers. For example, I recently gutted and replaced the bathroom. Peeling the tiles off brought the 100 yr old plaster with it, revealing a less than satisfactory brick wall (its a 9 inch external wall with bricks on end every 5 courses, which stick out further than the other bricks! Also found a long piece of floorboard in the top corner of the wall, between rows of bricks). Easiest thing to do with that is to dot n dab it! Looks great now.

Also found pieces of an old cast iron bath under the floorboards, previously replaced (20-30 yrs ago) floorboards weren't fixed down at all, despite having been previously tiled! Of course, the tiles were coming loose and some had cracked due to the poor base. I screwed them all down, screwed and glued cement board down and re-tiled, 6 months on not a crack in sight.

Small stuff though too, for example I discovered the old soil pipe outlet through the wall where the toilet used to be, then outside I could see where the stack was and a "thats what that rusty mark is on the wall, where the soil stack was!" moment. Then I dug up the patio outside and found a round clay hole in that spot too. ;)

can you post me your ebay kidney listing number please and your blood type? thanks

It can be a nightmare, but then all of a sudden things start to come together, and you can see beyond the rubbish and expense into what will be a great home...meanwhile my bedroom is still in the dining room as the rest of the house is still in chaos, just less so than when I started...but at least I have walls and floors now, which is what I had when I bought the place...I might or might not just now be 15k poorer!

£15k...is that all?

We saved £25k on the purchase price, and have probably spent more than that on work. We still have the living room to do, and pay for two new steel beams and associated work, but as long as it's done by Christmas, we'll be happy.

Or, is that wishful thinking?

I've spent two years renovating our Victorian house and I'm probably half way through.

The best advice I can give is that regardless of what the job is, in an old house it will take you twice as long as you expect and cost you twice as much as you had budgeted!

£15k...is that all?

We saved £25k on the purchase price, and have probably spent more than that on work. We still have the living room to do, and pay for two new steel beams and associated work, but as long as it's done by Christmas, we'll be happy.

Or, is that wishful thinking?

Well we've been in a year and started around february time, so 15k, has got us the following:
New plaster throughout (except kitchen and old downstairs bathroom)
New boiler
Full rewire (again except kitchen and old downstairs bathroom)
New front door
Damp proof (again except kitchen and old downstairs bathroom)
And a few other smaller odd jobs done, some light fittings and some very nice switch boxes...mabees some vintage furniture too.

I have not yet tallied up the full re-build of the suspended floor we have almost finished, or the spanky new bathroom going in upstairs, the new radiators we have bought...and well that about takes the spends to approx. £23k ish...I hope anyway...might be a little bit scared to get the scores on the doors.

So we have still have to convert the attic £30k, gut the kitchen and old bathroom, re-buld and replace it all £25k - we still have not yet put paint brush to wall and are living in the dining room plus there is another gazillion jobs to do including buying victorian re-pro doors as we don't have any doors currently...So @nearlyDIY, am I hard core enough yet...hehehehehe.

All the best for your Xmas plan. Wishing you lots of luck...I hope to god we have got the two bedrooms sorted and our living room by then...I have been living in the dining room since May...Gah!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back