I damaged my meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I was drilling a hole in the adjacent wall, the chuck must have rubbed against the line tail

1657023837539.jpeg

I cannot see the copper conductor, but I guess it needs changing anyway; if so, who does that? My supplier?

Sponsored Links
You can add protection without renewing the tails, not sure what is on the market today, I personally would use some self amalgamating tape then insulation tape, only problem is when an EICR is done.

But wait and see what others say.

The meter tails *should* be double-insulated. It looks as if you have scuffed the top layer of insulation only.
As above, I will wait for other opinions, but I don't believe this needs absolutely urgent action to rectify! :)
...and it has shown that the double insulation has done its job brilliantly!
...just don't do any more drilling in the cupboard ;)

The downside of the "double insulated, single color" tails that have beome popular in recent years, is it can be harder to tell if damage has stopped within the outer insulation or damaged the inner insulation too.

Sponsored Links
The downside of the "double insulated, single color" tails that have beome popular in recent years, is it can be harder to tell if damage has stopped within the outer insulation or damaged the inner insulation too.
The upside being with both the insulation and sheath being the same colour makes the damage less obvious and less embarrassing :).

I doubt such a bodge is accredited and acceptable to the supplier.

I'd have thought they'd be anxious to urgently replace a damaged cable.

It can't be unusual.

It looks to me like the upstream live tail.

They know such damage is usually caused by attempts to bypass the meter.

Last edited:
I doubt such a bodge is accredited and acceptable to the supplier.

I'd have thought they'd be anxious to urgently replace a damaged cable.

It can't be unusual.

It looks to me like the upstream live tail.

They know such damage is usually caused by attempts to bypass the meter.
Agreed, but the suggestion was an interim 'fix' until such time as he'd managed to get the relevant body to change the cable

Agreed, but the suggestion was an interim 'fix' until such time as he'd managed to get the relevant body to change the cable
So who’s the relevant body? My current supplier? Are they likely to change it for free?

Start with your current supplier. The job will actually be done by somebody else but you are not expected to know the intricacies of the Electricity Industry.

I suspect they will do it as an urgent safety issue for nothing, but I suppose they might hold you responsible for the damage.

Double insulated isn't the same as insulated and sheathed cable ;)

I doubt the supplier will do anything about it. You might have more luck with the DNO.

The meter tails *should* be double-insulated. It looks as if you have scuffed the top layer of insulation only.
As above, I will wait for other opinions, but I don't believe this needs absolutely urgent action to rectify! :)
...and it has shown that the double insulation has done its job brilliantly!
...just don't do any more drilling in the cupboard ;)
There's only one layer of insulation. The other layer is a sheath which is solely for mechanical protection, although it may be made of insulating material.

I doubt the supplier will do anything about it. You might have more luck with the DNO.

but "Start with your current supplier. The job will actually be done by somebody else but you are not expected to know the intricacies of the Electricity Industry."

if the call centre fobs you off (they could pass the call onto Revenue Protection who have an interest in meter tails) write a very short letter, and post it.

A letter will be logged and passed along until it reaches someone who knows what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back