I "fink" therefore i am.

I am 100% in agreement with noseall on this discussion.

Our language is being dumbed down by the so-called 'experts' in an attempt to raise pass levels in examinations. When I went to school and sat a test/exam you did not get marks for putting your name at the top of the paper. I have heard that this now accounts for as much as 6% in some exams.
ITS YOUR OWN NAME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
If you can't spell it by the time you start junior school you need to remain in the infants till you can!
Spelling is what it says. Spelling! There is only one way to spell a word and that is the correct way as defined in a dictionary. Text spelling is definitely not acceptable anywhere except in a text message using a mobile phone. It should not be used in everyday writing, on public forums, or in memos to others.
We in this country have a long history of a versatile language. It is complex at times and yet so easy at others. We have little quirks such as bow- to bend at the waist; bow- used to fire an arrow; bow- a ribbon used to tie a persons hair neatly; bough- a branch; etc. These are words that are either spelt the same but pronounced differently or they are words spelt differently yet pronounced the same but with differing meanings.
Learning our language is an art form that should be instilled into every citizen, be they native or immigrant.
Don't give up telling your children Noseall, one day they will see your reasoning and hopefully thank you for your perseverance.

Sponsored Links
it's called evolution... in 80 years time, dictionary.com will have the entry Fink... (think - archaic) !!

although i agree with the OP, it's a constant battle making the kids say the word 'the' in a sentence, or not to use 'reet' instead of really (reet good :evil: )

Tells us a lot about the standard of education in this country.

I have difficulty understanding why so many people (including posters on this site) who have passed through years of education and still use i instead of I.

One of our regulars claims that ~ is a hyphen while others end sentences with... Inappropriately

Quote, 'et al' and 'Sic' without any understanding of what they mean or when to use them.

Do you regard me as a regular? I was questioning the use of a ~ to the use of a -, to the use of a space. The thread wasn't about that! It help to read threads on a forum. That's what a forum is for, not to negate a typo.

I fink I'm ok wiff it ;) :evil:
What gets me is this use of the word absolutely, instead of I agree, or thats right.
Also everything that is inetresting is now iconic. I saw some icons in 1982 in Prague. Im struggling to make the conection.
But then what do I know, after a catholic secondry education which terminated at age 15.

Sponsored Links
Accents i can deal with but the apparant laziness regards the th sound knows no boundaries.

It does appear to predominantly a south half of the country problem though.

It is probably the accepted spelling (i.e. fink as opposed to think) darn sarf. :rolleyes:

Yes you are right, do not hear it up hear. Mainly hear it from role model footballers when they are being interviewed.

What gets me is this use of the word absolutely, instead of I agree, or thats right.

I think that this is an accepted use of the word 'absolutely', 'quite', etc.

Also as used in French 'tout à fait', meaning absolutely, quite, entirely.

Then it should be out of it!

Innit is a contraction of 'is it not?'.
Its not progression, its laziness. Innit? ;)

I fort "innit" was a replacement for a full stop, Thats why it's said at the end of every sentence innit c wot I mean innit.

Misc-Word.jpg

:cool:

yeah but, they're all black men on that packet 'n' s h ! t... is that legal bruv?

Sponsored Links
Back