I found insulation in chimney breast, is that ok ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just cut a hole in my boarded over fireplace for ventilation as ppaint has been flaking off.

I found it has been stuffed with loft type fluffy insulation, Im not sure if this may hold damp ?

If I leave it in I guess I just need to put some ducting to get a chanel of air through.

Sponsored Links
Gary111, good evening.

Obviously not the best place for that insulation?

Does the chimney still get above the roof level, or has the chimney above the roof been removed, that could be a reason for the loft Insulation being in the chimney flue and old fireplace? If the chimney has been dropped below the roof then the Insulation could have fallen down the flues??

Could be that someone was trying to insulate the old fire place area before boarding the fireplace up ?? all historic actions??

You should consider removing the Insulation, there is a high probability that the Insulation has exacerbated the dampness within the boarded out chimney and is causing the paint to flake on the surface of the plasterboard??

Next consideration? what is the chimney pot like? does it have a vented cap? if not it needs one to stop direct rain penetration into the flue and possibly ultimately down to the old fire place.

Ken.

Thanks Ken I would guess its been put there intentionally, but that sort of insulation is not suitable for that location ?
Ive done some googling and people are asking about insulating disused chimneys, but Im guessing some kind of boards would normally be used ?

I think there is a row of airbricks near the top of the chimney, cant remember if it still goes above roof level, but have had it checked out externally by a roofer.

Garry111, Hi again.

That form of Insulation in that position is not desirable, aqs an aside how tightly packed was the Insulation?

What would be of use is if you can take and post some digital images of the chimney above the roof line??

If the old unused fire place was to be insulated, best way would have been to use thermal insulated plasterboard or Insulation board between timber supports.

Ken

Sponsored Links
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi Ken, Its the ground floor flat at tge bottom of that chimney, when I lift the insulation I can feel a decent draft through the vent, for now Ive also angled a couple of 32mm drainpipes from the vent to the worst damp areas,
It mustnt have been cleaned as theres some soot in there,feels quite dry to touch though what I can get to. Ive just painted it with damp seal then bathroom paint so hopefully that will help.

can we see a photo of the insulation please?

mineral wool for loft insulation can get sodden and hold the water.

Cavity fill has some sort of treatment to repel water.

I think there was another colour of similar looking stuf too, maybe yellow.

I think this stuff has probably been pushed behind the battened board round the edges of the fireplace too, so that would have to remain anyway.
image.jpeg

looks like loft insulation, doesn't look like cavity fill.

I reckon someone stuffed it in to muffle draughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back