I got some cheap turf...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I found that BandQ were selling off some turf they had obviously had in the warehouse for a fair while! I have got it home and have laid about half of it so far. Now...it has obviously gone a bit black and mouldy in places and matted and is not very green right now, most people I have spoken to have said just keep watering and it will right itself but I'm not convinced when looking at it!!! :confused:

Am I wasting my time or shall I just keep persevering? I know with well established grass it takes alot to kill it but with turf I'm sure it's not as hardy...

Many thanks
Nafe

Sponsored Links
may come back, but knowing the stuff they sell it wont. to put not to fine a point on it, their stuff is not worth buying when it first comes into the store. its not fresh and has been rolled up for some time. i wont touch it with a barge pole.

plenty of water. dont put any feed on it and stay off it for a couple of weeks. you may find that you will need to rake it over with a spring rake to get some of the dead stuff out once its rooted.

Sponsored Links
This link will tell you all you need to know on new lawns...

http://www.rolawn.co.uk/turf_homeowners_1_3.html

Unfortunately the poor turf you have laid, will end up with loads of bare patches, which will be a haven for weeds to grow. It will take a long time for the grass to recover.
If you seed the bare patches, it will almost certainly be a different type of grass, leaving you with a patchwork type lawn.

If you want a really nice lawn follow the advice in the link above. And when you order your new turf make sure your supplier provides you with turf supplied to them, on the same day they deliver it to you.
Turf is dying from the moment it is cut and rolled, and the transfer time needs to be kept to a minimum......

That said, I recall seeing some bloke on - what's it called with the big-chested girl overseeing people doing up properties.... anyway, he got a load of dead-looking turf for nowt, and it greened up loverly like. Worth a try, if it was free.

Thanks all, I think I will give it a few weeks and see what happens - at least I should be able to pull it back up if it really doesnt work and can then buy fresh new stuff. It's my first house so money is tight, so with my new found enthusiasm for gardening I'm staying optimistic with the nothing ventured nothing gained mindset........no doubt it will turn into naive pratt mindset after a few weeks!!
Thanks guys :D

if it doesnt take leave it down, the soil its grown on and the grass itself will add valuable nutrients into the soil if you re-do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back