I need a clever idea!

Sponsored Links
all very good and well there chri5, but how do you plug a "wall wart" adapter into one of those?

Data rack power strips come with top to bottom, diagonal or left / right sockets, so wall warts can be accomodated. Diagional ones work well, but you tend to have to space wall warts in every other socket, the one's inbetween can still take a standard plug.

My suggestion of 2 x 4-5" pieces of wood, with the strip in a corner was to allow the wood to be almost like a boxing in, but with the advantage of a swing (hinged) access.
The lid piece to have cable slots to allow the cables between plug and device to be managed.

Just an idea, hopefully I've no need to don a flame suit :rolleyes:

Just an idea, hopefully I've no need to don a flame suit
It sometimes helps ;)

kristen_271_8796.jpg

Well thanks for your input guys, didnt realise I would start such a debate!!

First thing, if it didnt need to be there it wouldnt. Virgin Media (NTL) installed the tv, modem and telephone all in one place!! I need a router to establish my home network, whether it be wireless or ethernet.

I wouldnt have wires on show if I buried it as I can hide wires easily down the back of the display cabinet using velcro and tape, I cant hide adapters, plugs and wall plates!!

I was thinking of using a grid switch 20amp, but again no good for adapters!! hence my only option seems to be to bury it. My house is built with a gap of around 400mm from the underside of the floorboards to the concrete slab it is built upon, a raft foundation I believe its called!

I was thinking of getting some mesh (like they use in boy racer front grills!) and basically making a box that can sit in the void under the house, this way rodent proof, and well ventilated. Just the fire hazard I am worried about, surely though this cant be any more dangerous than if it was all plugged in to a single tower adapter? can it? I can put armoured shrouding around any exposed wires that come back up into the house.

Sponsored Links
chri5, the one you pictured is one of the "kettle plug" type, not 13A type.. hence my question..

Sorry, I am not wearing my bins :oops: and I had hoped google image had done what I asked (power strip, data rack).

Subject to rafter positions the under floor would do it, I'd be more tempted to make a box from wood and fix that to the underside of the existing floor rather than a mesh barrier.

Under floors should have good venting and you really don't want 0 deg F (or whatever the air temp is at the moment) whistling through the under floor void and in to the property.

You can get these for less than £20, if it helps

UVCSM3SLASH4A.JPG

does have depth problems with 'wall warts'- plug transformers

I'm pretty sure they have sloped socket and deeper ones of those to accomodate the "wall warts"

Thats the good idea i was looking for!! thanks, do you know where i should look to get one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back