I need to upgrade my Baxi 80 Eco combi boiler

Vokera Flowmatic 20-80
Vokera Excel 80SP
Potterton Puma 80
Ideal Response 80
Potterton Combi 80e
Baxi 80e

I would look for stipulated flowrate at designated temperature (35 degree C) rise for confirmation of correct operation.

Sponsored Links
Ok, will check the floe rate at the kitchen hot water tap tommorow after work.
The boiler I was looking to buy is the Baxi platinum.

Will turning the hot water dial on the boiler to max make a difference to the flow rate..? I was under the impression this is more like a temperature gauge for the water..

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Vokera Flowmatic 20-80
Vokera Excel 80SP
Potterton Puma 80
Ideal Response 80
Potterton Combi 80e
Baxi 80e

are you saying these are 20kw boilers? just for clarification

Sponsored Links
Just measured the flow from the kitchen tap which is located 1.5 meters above the boiler and 5 meters horizontally away.

Hot water = 2 litres in 20 seconds
Cold water = 2 litres in 16 seconds

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

2 litres in 16 secs = <8 litres/min.
you've not got enough water coming in to the house to worry about the size of your boiler.

I'm in a terraced house, which is divided into 3 appartments, mine being the 2nd floor and loft.

How do I go about having the mains flow rate increased, I checked the tap in the ground floor and its fully open..?

Measure how long it takes to fill a bucket with COLD from each tap. Then do the same with HOT from each tap. Keeping notes would be an idea for later on to compare.

OP aside from the fact you can only get out, what comes in so your main is probably too small there are several other factors.

isolation valves - you need full bore ones to prevent a restriction in flow (not very expensive)
pressure equalising valve - can help to reduce flow on the cold and allow a better flow on the hot by keeping both pressures equal.
boiler size - a 24Kw combi is and always will be pants at hot water production if you are going to replace it upgrade to a minimum 30Kw one
we use vaillant Ecotec 831's most of the time and never had any flow/ temperature issues.
Elbows in pipework- the more there are the greater the restricition in flow a nice bend instead will help improve flow but only a very small amount.
Cheapo EU taps - the likes of which are sold by sheds and discount stores often have 12mm pipe runs in mind when they are designed and don't really like our 22/15mm systems
old pipes - again if you have any iron pipes they are more than likely furred up or corroding internally
22mm pipes best avoided with a combi system as the amount of water in them means it will allow too much flow through the boiler so it won't get hot enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back