I think I have a WTF switch

Sponsored Links
I think you are being slightly unfair.

Presumably, you agree that the igniter cannot cause an overload on the flex, so that just leaves determining whether it could cope with the prospective fault current with a 30A fuse, which I am assuming is a BS3036 rewireable.
I do not know what size flex is used solely for an igniter so thought it best to advise as I have.

The situation could be different with an electric oven which presumably would be supplied with a larger flex.

I know you, Sunray, have said you have come across oven elements that have shorted, managed to achieve a bolted connection stable enough to allow part of the element to draw two or three times its design current without blowing the joint and so think a lower rated fuse should be fitted, but I still cannot think how this could happen.

I did once blow the main 60A fuse when a 1mm² CPC contacted the terminal of the main switch.
The CPC did not sustain any damage apart from a melted globule at the contact point.

Plus, of course, there is always the point that were the stove in question installed here, in Europe, it would just be plugged into a 16A circuit; would you consider 16A low enough if you were fitting DNJ's stove in the UK?

Going by the flexi-ness of the stove lead, I would say it can handle 13A. Something like a kettle lead could handle more. Hence, I rather not risk the stove lead - not so much because of the fire risk but it's just an unneeded hassle if it melts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back