i want a log fire...and i want it NOW!

Hi Tim,

Doesn't sound like a DIY job to mess about with back boilers etc !!!!

Visit your local heating/stove shop, they will give you excellent advise on the type of log burner compared with size of house, amount of rads etc, etc. I have heard they are a great heating source !!!

Logs are easy to come by, but as already said, they are becoming more expensive, as is coal.

I run a log burner (not connected to heating) and it takes minimal fuss to look after TBH, takes about 5-10min to light !!! and much nicer than a boring rad on the wall !!!! I also have an open fire in my other room which I love too.

My advise would be to keep some form of gas/oil central heating system though for those days when you just cant be arrsed !!!!

Best of luck with it !!!

Sponsored Links
thanks guys - this is brilliant and 'fueling' my enthusiasm, i've got kids so the getting of the logs is not a problem...i'm more than willing to give them the life experience, but what can i initially do? take out the 35yr old gas fire, or frontage of, and leave the back boiler? or do i have to replace the whole damm thing? and re-route the pipework. i'm up for doing it myself. is that a possibility? thank again - tim

I would love a log fire so I can send my wife out chopping wood all day instead of sitting on her backside watching 'Jezza' and 'Trisha' and other daytime TV tripe!!!

thanks guys - this is brilliant and 'fueling' my enthusiasm, i've got kids so the getting of the logs is not a problem...i'm more than willing to give them the life experience, but what can i initially do? take out the 35yr old gas fire, or frontage of, and leave the back boiler? or do i have to replace the whole damm thing? and re-route the pipework. i'm up for doing it myself. is that a possibility? thank again - tim

I would suggest you cannot do it yourself...

Sponsored Links

I would suggest you cannot do it yourself...

I'm with Goldspoon, definitely doesn't sound like a job for DIY, even installing a log burner has building regs to be aware of !!! Let alone the plumbing side of it !! I would employ a pro for this. For a start, you cannot remove the old gas fire yourself.

but what can i initially do? take out the 35yr old gas fire, or frontage of, and leave the back boiler

You will have to remove it completely and isolate the gas supply at a remote location.Probably a couple of hours work for a Corgi Engineer.

Winter probably isn`t the best time to start doing this,wait till summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back