I want a toy router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of small router jobs to do and I was thinking of buying a cheap toy one just so that I can have a play and see what they're about. I can't see myself attempting any serious work with it.

CPC have a Bosch (green) 600W 1/4" for £33, or a Ferm 850W 1/4" for about £20.

Do either of these sound like a good deal? I don't mind if they are fragile or underpowered, but is there a fundamental reason to avoid a real cheapie? Like with jigsaws - the cheap ones will not cut straight, so they are fundamentally crap, whereas a cheap angle grinder will be fine, for as long as it lasts.

Sponsored Links
Very clever rude word checker they have on this forum :D
Automatically finds the word that rhymes with 'pony & trap', and replaces it with 'rubbish'.
I never thought it was that rude..... :rolleyes:

depends on what the jobs are !!!

the cutters are the most expensive parts at the lower end of the scale even a cheap set can look expensive if it hasnt got the cutter you need in the set :D

usualy even the cheapest routers have a strait bit or if your lucky a 6 piece set

your probably talking around £60 for a basic router and a basic cutter set

tell us what exactly your routing and we can then suggest a package or router

Ah, I forgot about cutters. I guess they can work out costing more than the router itself.
My first job is an MDF kitchen door, I need to do cut a circular hole 34mm diameter and 12mm deep with a flat bottom, to recess the hinge. I can't think of any other way of doing this apart from with a router.

Sponsored Links
you can get a sort of bit that fits in your electric drill for a lot less than £60

it might be called a kitchen hinge cutter

p1173552_l.jpg

Yeah, that's the badger. Also called a Forstner bit, or is that something different?

As regards cheap routers, I've been using a Performance Power, 1/4" feller from B&Q. Think it was £25 or so and came with 6 bits (straight, chamfer, dovetail and a few others). Not got a particularly powerful motor but it's put up with everything I've had to throw at it from a 'now-and-then', hobby angle (12mm rebates, edge moldings, hinge rebates etc..) No good for deep plunge work like kitchen worktop cutting. Need a 1/2" doodily for that.

I bought a 30 piece bit set from there as well. Unknown brand, about £20 I think. Never used most of the bits, so buy as you need from eBay if money's an issue. £6-12 for individual, 1/4" TCT bits in B&Q.

Dont forget the safety gear tho! Eye protection, dust mask and ear defenders. Mine's a whiney wee bugger! :LOL:

Very clever rude word checker they have on this forum :D
Automatically finds the word that rhymes with 'pony & trap', and replaces it with 'rubbish'.
I never thought it was that rude..... :rolleyes:

Oh, you mean "****".

Well that's all my questions answered, thanks everyone.
1. Since those CPC routers come without cutters, they're not a particularly good deal. I guess the consensus is that a cheap Bosch is no better than any other cheap router.
2. I probably don't need a router anyway - thanks JohnD, I had no idea those tools existed. They're about £6 on Amazon.

wanabechippie - I already have an angle grinder, so I'm well equipped with all the safety gear :eek: After my first attempt with it, went out and got good goggles, gloves ear defenders, the lot!

Moderator5 - I assume you're referring to "e) Attempts to "by pass" the swear filter / auto censor will be removed. "
Sorry, I genuinely didn't think the word I originally typed was unacceptable in this forum, and I thought that rule e was referring to the practice of replacing letters in a word so that it is still readable but gets past the filter. I didn't realise it applied to the use of rhyming slang as well. Sounds like a load of Jackson to me :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back