I WANT my gloss to yellow....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redecorating our house. Most of the houses woodwork is fine but some needs re glossing. I don't want to completely re gloss every bit in the entire house, but just do what needs doing without there being an obvious difference between the old and the very white new gloss. How can I match the existing colour? ( I believe it's oil based) thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just paint it and wait a few weeks.

Use dulux "once" gloss. A customer of mine supplied this for her house and it went very yellow within 18 days, almost magnolia, shocking stuff, absolute crap.

You wont be able to match it perfectly, even if you mixed the white to a perfect yellowed matched the rates at which the new and old yellow will be out of kilter.

The yellowing is not an age thing, moreover it is a function of an absence of UV light

The "good" news is that all oil based paints have the potential to yellow faster post the 2010 VOC compliance reformulations.

Sponsored Links
on previous occassions i've used China white to patch old white gloss this is the nearest i've found that looks "Aged" on application

buy a pack of Players Navy Cut ciggies and let them burn one @ a time in a sealed box with the open paint tin in it :idea: or get some tint from a decorators supplier .

I used to use BS paint colour 10B15, it is a slightly "milk" or "oyster shell" white and not a PBW.

But there are lots of "hints of" white available now at low prices. I think you will have to paint all the woodwork in any one room, though, even if you get a reasonable match to the old paint in other rooms. Door edges and frames are where it will show worst.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back