I want to disscuss frying pans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If frying pan's are all about the teflon coating , and when that's gone your down to the ally,is there any point buying expensive one's do they have thicker coating's

Sponsored Links
More importantly,,, If Teflon is "Non Stick",,,,,, How on earth do they get it to stick to the pan in the first place ???? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheap frying pans are usually light in weight.

For example, to cook a good steak you need to cook it on a heavy metal base to ensure the high heat is kept constant so that the steak does not boil in its own water.

Don't move the steak around the pan either.....er.. i'm waffling

Feel the weight of the pan before you buy.

Sponsored Links
If I could afford it I'd love to get Le Cruset (or however you spell the thing :oops: )pans. As it is, the best frying pans we have are an ancient aluminium one with no coating on it and a teensy little single egg one, which we do when we fell like having a posh fried egg look

The coating will stay intact if you use wooden or plastic tools rather than steel ones. Read the instructions before you use it, (yes they come with instructions, at least the good ones do), you need to pre heat the pan first before putting the food in. As said, get a good heavy one as the base holds the heat better and more evenly distributed. Looked after they will last a life time.

Similar question to joinerjohn: Have you ever got a non-stick pan and had to spend half an hour with your finger nail and god knows what sort of chemical trying to remove the sticker from the pan surface??? Makes you wonder what sort of ****** thought of packaging it like that :confused:

Our neightbour had a salesman around last year, a cooking pan set salesman!

The bloke came round and cooked them all a meal, talking through the set etc.

My neighbour is a keen cook and likes his food and did say the pans where very good quality, he didnt like the price though :LOL:

I cant remember the exact price, but I think it was over £10k for the set!!!!

I'll have to ask him for the name of the company when I see him.

Our neightbour had a salesman around last year, a cooking pan set salesman!

The bloke came round and cooked them all a meal, talking through the set etc.

My neighbour is a keen cook and likes his food and did say the pans where very good quality, he didnt like the price though :LOL:

I cant remember the exact price, but I think it was over £10k for the set!!!!

I'll have to ask him for the name of the company when I see him.

"OOOOOO"

We have had extensive Le Creuset kitchenware for about twenty years. Overall I cannot recommend them highly enough, but the only two pieces which have had a Teflon coating – the frying pan and the multi-purpose pot – the ‘wear’ has been rather different. The frying pan surface is as good as the day it was purchased but the mpp has lifted markedly, to the point that we have actually stopped using it.

Actually, not wishing to digress here, Le Creuset stuff does come with a lifetime guarantee. I wonder whether this applies to the Teflon surface, though? Do you think the LC legal bods will have exempted the Teflon, it is the brand name of DuPont, after all, from obligation to repair/replace? Notice also that the mpp in its current incarnation is manufactured with an enamel coating. Perhaps there is a message here? :confused:

Didn’t mean to hijack the thread, HWW. ;)

Yep Le Creuset is good stuff, holds its heat well, mrs doesn't like the colours which means they will not work in our kitchen.

Cast iron is supposed to provide a non-stick surface if you 'season' it properly and continue to look after it. If you watch the real top chefs like Roux he doesn't use non-stick coatings on his pans, though he does have an army of lads/lasses looking after his pots. It's the likes of Jamie Oliver who uses non-stick, but I think he flogs them as a range too.

There is something to be said for buying cheaper frying pans for everyday use and just replacing them when they eventually get knackered. Have a decent one for special occasions, though it will cost.

having tried a few, these are the things I've learned:

- stainless will always stick and there is nothing you can do about it

- new Teflon is great, but it wears, slower or faster. You can rub the surface with a drop of cooking oil and polish off with kitchen roll after washing and drying, this makes the surface glossy and improves the non-stickness. Dishwashers take all traces of greasiness off the surface and Teflon is less effective when it looks matt

- as Teflon always wears, it is distressing to buy an expensive non-stick pan as you will resent throwing it away.

- a plain iron or aluminium pan, that you season with fat or oil, and never wash, but rub clean with kitchen roll, will build up a coating of burnt-on fat that is actually very good for cooking on. It is difficult for people to come to terms with not washing the pan. You might like to keep a separate one for strong flavours like onion or steak.

- An enamelled iron pan, rubbed with oil after washing, and not used with metal utensils, keeps its surface a long time.

- cast iron and enamel are materials that have been around a very long time. There is no reason to suppose that a pan made in a factory with the name "Le Creuset" over the door will be any better than one with the name "Han Phoo Yong" so no reason to pay £200 when you can get the same for £20 in Aldi, unless you need to impress the neighbours.

- cast iron is extremely heavy, and if you are weedy, old and frail, or have an injured wrist, hand or arm, it will be difficult to lift.

Cheap frying pans are usually light in weight.

For example, to cook a good steak you need to cook it on a heavy metal base to ensure the high heat is kept constant so that the steak does not boil in its own water.

Don't move the steak around the pan either.....er.. i'm waffling

Feel the weight of the pan before you buy.

I'm confused now :confused: are we cooking steaks or waffles??

Sponsored Links
Back