ID chips in wheelie bins

Manufacturers have a duty to provide for disposing of old electrical equipment now as the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) directive has now come in to force, so there's no excuse for dumping them, putting them in the bin.

Personally, I think everyone has a duty to recycle, although the councils need to do more. Round here, the blue bin scheme will not take plastic bottles or cardboard - Which are two of the items most households have the most of. The councils need to start collecting the full monty of Plastics, Cans, Glass, Paper and Cardboard if they want to make a difference - and not with these stupidly small plastic boxes either, they'd not hold a fraction of what we recycle from a two person household.

Sponsored Links
Karl Austin said:
Manufacturers have a duty to provide for disposing of old electrical equipment now as the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) directive has now come in to force, so there's no excuse for dumping them, putting them in the bin.

It might be 'in force' now but that doesn't mean to say it's actually up and running... My prior post gave a few details about EU 2002/96/EC but to explain the implementation in full:

Regulations active 2 January 2007.
Producers have to join a compliance scheme by 15th March 2007.
Producers have to mark electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) by 1st April 2007.
Full responsibility for treating and recycling household WEEE begins on 1st July 2007

I do have some doubts about the end-to-end logistics... this government has a record of poor implementation and WEEE is definitely not a piece of p*** - I can see trouble ahead...

:mad:

We left our household waste bin(chipped) out early this morning and when we came home around two p.m. I looked in the bin to see if it had been emptied so I could pull it back to the house. Someone had put an unsealed bag of rubbish on top of our 'tied off' bag while we were gone.
Apart from the fact that we will be paying for the extra weight, the loose rubbish will fly around the road when the binmen tip the bin in to the lorry.
Not to mention the fact that if the bag contained the 'wrong kind of rubbish' the collection company will cut off the service without warning.

There has also been quite a bit of stuff (looks like old clothes) dumped on the road verges since Christmas and we have seen a load of what looks like builders' waste fly-tipped in a wood.

I don't know what the answer is - the selfish and anti-social will always be with us but I would LOVE to put a gin trap inside the bin next week! :evil:

There, I feel better now .........
There is n

Sponsored Links
Are we sure its going to be a chip in the bin, and not a magnetic stripe?

Anyone one got pictures of a chip used eaither in the uk or abroad....

Id like to be up to speed with this before it happens.

As for keepng the bin light and empty, then i think we should all start using incinerators in our gardens.... burn as much as we can....

MasterAbacus said:
Are we sure its going to be a chip in the bin, and not a magnetic stripe?

Anyone one got pictures of a chip used eaither in the uk or abroad....

Id like to be up to speed with this before it happens.

bin260806_228x225.jpg

I cut up the "chip" that was in my wheelie bin. All it seemed to consist off was a flat copper ring. Whether it's a chip or not it makes no difference - they're still using it to associate it with your house.

Hi All - Paying for your rubbish collection by weight is definitely coming to a bin near you. Currently I pay 40p a week for my rubbish to be collected, included in the Council Tax. The Council's proposed costs for 'Chip 'n Bin' (or bag), is 50-80p per kilo. Being the sad git that I am I weighed my rubbish one week recently and it was only 2Kg. I ain't no mathematician, but even on the lowest kilo rate proposed, that means a price hike from 40p to £1 :eek: . There is also talk of implementing a 'standing charge'. I have 4 compost bins for veg peelings etc on my allotment, and a further 4 bins taking up space in my small back garden for recyclable rubbish. The recyclables are collected fortnightly by the council. In addition to this I have to remove all glass to the bottle bank. If you don't use a wheelie-bin then you will have to buy specially chipped rubbish bags so that the lorry can scan it and bill you accordingly. Generally, sounds like yet another brilliant idea (not), dreamt up by numpty councils to squeeze yet more cash out of the public.
Regards.
EDIT: In parts of Ireland, where this scheme has already started, there has been a marked increase in 'fly tipping'. To combat this the flytipping sites are watched via wireless cameras which transmit pictures back to a council employee parked some distance away (out of sight) in a van. He is able to monitor several cameras, placed at different sites, on a screen in his van. He notes vehicle reg numbers and legal action follows.
Makes you proud to be part of this country.

gcol said:
I cut up the "chip" that was in my wheelie bin. All it seemed to consist off was a flat copper ring. Whether it's a chip or not it makes no difference - they're still using it to associate it with your house.

When the bins are manufactured, it costs a £1 to install your chip, if your "chip" gets damaged by you, then you will be billed £3 for a replacement chip it's cheaper to apply your chip during manufacture.and i also believe from a forum i was on last year, when money/technology allows, a tiny camera will be installed to check on who is depositing what in who's bin, sounds far fetched i know, but, watch this space....

I know what your saying, but it's your responsability to take reasonable care of it, ( okay, not going down that road, to many variables) if that's the right word

Sponsored Links
Back