ID chips in wheelie bins

I'd feel a lot better regarding this topic IF the government applied pressure on manufacturers of electical goods to make them more environmentally friendly with a better ability to recycle them.

I'd also be happier if food producers stopped giving us so much packaging when all we want is the food inside... Who needs the reams of cardboard, foil, selophane etc. etc,. etc?

Maybe a good marketing angle (you know, the USP) would be to shout out in your adverts that you have environmentally conscious and minimal packaging - it would cost the manufacturers/producers less and therefore (hopefully?) cost us less.

Sponsored Links
Like chilled ready meals - why the cardboard sleeve? Can they not print onto the plastic film and tray? Or use a paper sticky label?

I bought a pack of 99p dutch pastries the other day, inside the 12 pastries were in 2 trays of 6. The whole packet had an overall printed plastic film, and each tray was wrapped in a clear film. One tray and one wrap would suffice!

As for pre-wrapped fresh produce (fruit and veg), I dont see that as a problem. The loose veg - you're only gonna stick it in a plastic bag anyway! Most stores have a policy that you have to put it in a bag, even if its one apple (though enforcement is weak). The reason is that the cashiers may spend hours on a till, and their hands get filthy from dust and leaky bottles of milk etc.

childrens toys wrapped in oodles of plastic and cardboard. food in oodles of paper and plastic etc etc etc. To be honest im fed up with recycling. why? we make the effort and the council take some stuff one week but wont take the same things the following week. Half of it ends up on a slow boat to china, how environmentally friendly is that? we have more recycled stuff than councils know what to do with.

gcol wrote

won't this lead to people putting a small amount in their bin and fly tipping the rest?

Possibly. I started burning all my rubbish in the field. It saves so much hassle and time what with leaving out bins all the time and sorting the lot out. Its outlawed as far as I know I know and I have an environmental officer living nearby (cousin) .
If he pushes an enforcement order on me of any kind then I shall just stockpile the rubbish in my large and spacious sheds and burn the lot once a year at halloween.

Sponsored Links
Its a farce in a lot of ways, as already mentioned, a lot of the stuff we carefully seperate doent even get recycled it gets dumped elsewhere.
I havenothing against recyvling stuff but as I've said in previous threads about it, they (the government,council,etc) need to make it easy not start throwing fines about and putting chips into bins to scam more money of us, all that will happen is people will fly tip, use someone elses bin or whatever. I'm all with Bigburn, if they start geting funny I'll store non food stuff etc in my shed in boxes till bonfire night - oh HOW environmentally friendly is thati ndeed! It matters when it suits, it seems the environment is sort of just here, what about when they are dropping bombs on iraq? or is there a smoke free environmentally friendly bomb now? or how about tanks? cheiftans used 1 gal/mile, challengers a little less.
As for packaging, I agree that less packaging would be a benefit all round - cheaper to package (probably not cheaper to buy mind..) cheaper to distribute due to less size/weight, easier to open ! and I suppose more enbironmentelly friendly is a bonus there. I would agree on the food one though, I think they should still be in sealed boxes otherwise some **** will stick a needle through the plastic cover and inject god knows what onto the food.

Get rid of the wheelie bins I say. It used to be great a few years back when they used to collect the black bags, I normally had 10 or more every week. Now if your lucky you will get 3,4 and at a push 5 bags in a wheelie bin :( I suppose it could be worse they could of brought back them metal bins back :LOL: which were about 3 foot tall and weighted a ton empty. :LOL:

I thought that I paid my council tax for someone to do the recycling for me :LOL:

I thought that I paid my council tax for someone to do the recycling for me

good point, soon we'll be paying per foot for the road sweeper.

I know what council tax is......but......what is a road sweeper ? Is it similar to the little boy that used to go and sweep chimneys in "the olden days"? :eek:

;)

jonnyfishing said:
I know what council tax is......but......what is a road sweeper ?
;)
Our village has one, lovely lady, sweeping the roads twice a week

Our village has one, lovely lady, sweeping the roads twice a week[/quote]

Our City of Salford/Manchester must not to be able to afford such luxury for the tax payer as well as keeping council offices and grounds clean.

;)

We have a fat bloke who sits on a little sweeper buggy every morning sweeping up the leaves.

He has a gritting attachment which grits the footpaths in winter :D

We dont have one on our street, or if we do I've never seen it. There are ones that do the main roads, they go about 2 mph, and only ever work in the rush our.

Its going to lead to people dumping even more of their old **** by riverbanks, beauty spots...my front garden!

We recylcle as much as we can but when you hear about people being fined for putting the wrong item in the wrong box etc it mamkes you wonder if its worth the bother.

I dont know why for the life of me they dont bring back deposits on goods...stick a fiver on mobile phone batteries and chargers, 20p on glass bottles, etc

If they dont want to see batteries buried in the ground give people a reason to hand them back...theres no point in relying on people consciences

Unfortunatly we live in a throwaway world now..things arnt made to last anymore because manufaturers know full well that people will dump the current brand and buy a new one as soon as it becomes out of vogue.

Glasses are an example...have you noticed how quick those retangular shape one hit the streets and everyone had a pair...where did their old ones go?...did they all suddenly break overnight?...

How many times do you hear people say "for another x ££ I might as well buy a new one".....yep, and where does the old one go?...in the bin!..

They wouldnt do that if they had an incentive to take the old one back to a shop and got ££ knocked off the price of the new one.

read yesterday in the ealy 80's they predicted 900,000 mobile phones would be sold in the year 2000. In the year 2000 900,000 phones were sold every 19 hours. Now work that one out, didnt all break did they!

(thats 414,947,368 phones a year if my maths is correct!...big if!)

Sponsored Links
Back