ID chips in wheelie bins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw it on the news the other night that some council was looking into charging homeowners for the amount of non recycleable rubbish they throw away. The scheme is already underway in Ireland. The bin is weighed as it is loaded onto the wagon and the chip (that's secreted under the rim of the bin) tells a receiver what household to associate that amount of rubbish to. You will then be charged you an amount based on the weight.
I knew the chips where in bins, but thought they were there so that your bin could be identified if it was taken.
Now I'm all for these pay as you go ideas (mainly because I don't really do anything to excess) but I don't like the way the council have sneaked the chips into the bins. After watching the news article, I promptly removed the chip.
Now assuming this is to go ahead (presumably without gaining the permission of homeowners), won't this lead to people putting a small amount in their bin and fly tipping the rest?

Sponsored Links
when mine is too full i put a bin bag (or two) in a neighbours bin when we put the bins out (that is once they have already put theirs out for the bin men to collect). -dont think they would look kindley on me doing that if that is implemented! & i i suspect other less honest people will intentionaly do that if such a scheme is implemented!

If people start paying pre bag, then I think you will find a lot more rubbish left on the streets. Councils now collect scraped cars FOC & fly tipped rubbish, so there will be more fly tipped rubbish.
Its about education.
I struggle to get my partner to separate rubbish into what is recyclable.

I think it has to be taught from a young age.

Diyisfun said:
Its about education.
I would like to add something to this (I think your right): educate manufacturers that we don't need all that extra packaging; educate consumers and retailers that if you pay a little extra when buying new (electonics or) white goods the retailer will take back your old one; educate the local councils that this way - chips in bins (no pun intended) - without assuring 'consumers' that they won't pay for their neighbours rubbies does not work.
I feel strongly that we as consumers don't produce waste, we are at the 'collecting' end of it (i.e. we first pay for extra packaging, then we pay for the pleasure of having that extra packaging removed!)

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
I feel strongly that we as consumers don't produce waste, we are at the 'collecting' end of it (i.e. we first pay for extra packaging, then we pay for the pleasure of having that extra packaging removed!)

I agree with what you say, but the manufactures know that what we buy is influenced by looks.
Therefore they make it look good & in a way that it cannot be tampered with.

We will get ther eventually, prob not in my lifetime.

In Germany I have seen padlocks on Wheelie Bins to prevent other people's rubbish being put in them. I assume this was due to the bins being weighed when tipped into the crusher lorry.

There was a flurry of activity just before the lorry arrived, people unlocking their bin and guarding it.

WoodYouLike said:
educate consumers and retailers that if you pay a little extra when buying new (electonics or) white goods the retailer will take back your old one;

Time for WEEE...

That time being 15th March 2007 for enrolment and 1st July for implementation.

shenks said:
WoodYouLike said:
educate consumers and retailers that if you pay a little extra when buying new (electonics or) white goods the retailer will take back your old one;
Time for WEEE...

That time being 15th March 2007 for enrolment and 1st July for implementation.
It's about time! ;)
(In practise in The Netherlands for over 15 years now :LOL: :LOL: )

To educate people, first of all you need to trust and believe the teachers,do you believe your councillors,members of parliament, government ministers or their puppets ? I'm sorry but I don't. Without the threat of doomsday through global warming I do believe we need to change our ways of creating and disposing of rubbish,I also believe it should be done with the environment and not profit first in mind.Maybe we should be asking why manufacturing processes are done with bin it when broken because the design will not allow you to change many parts etc. etc.
We should stop using our cars and wait at bus stops for a bus (if your lucky and depending on the area you live in),not forgetting to wave at your elected council/government representative as he/she drives past.
Don't even let the increase in the size or numbers of Aircraft flying the globe burning and on occasions dumping fuel to atmosphere (for safety) worry you,Tony B liar says that the scientists will sort that out. So in my humble opinion I feel that our teachers should first and foremost do what they were elected to do..represent everyone and not turn councils into businesses that are run for the benefit of the few.
My last comments to councils and especially government is PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH AND LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

;)

Well the idea IMO is just a load of ****e, all it will do is fine honest tax payers who usually earn their own crust and pay their way, whilst leaving the no hopers and dossers who dont pay council tax anyway to carry on chucking whatever crap they want in theor own or other peoples bins, and if they do get a fine, all that will happen is the tax payer will pay the court costs and the dosser will pay 5p/week for the next however many years because they cant afford it (yeah right)
Has anyone ever lived in a large row of teraced houses where you simply grab the first clean looking bin you can and those that are back from work later end up with a scabby thing with no lid? you know, the ones the bin men break but the council make you pay for if you want a new one.
I definately think that once its implemented fully, then either neighbours bins will suddenly increas in weight, and fly tipping will increase by a great deal. WHO THE FICK are they to say we arnt recycling properly, does a single person have the same waste as a family with 3 kids? how can they possibly! ok single persons council tax is a bit less BUT they still get EXACTLY the same so in theory why should it be less? because they have less rubbish? ok what about the family of vegetarians who have only carrot and lettuce waste that they put on their compost heap? do they pay less ?
it just another ficking scam by a ficked up government that wastes money left right and centre then STEALS money from normal people to pay for it.

anyone want a rechipping service that reprogrammes their chip to another households number? Especially if it's a neighbour you don't like :LOL:

tim west said:
anyone want a rechipping service that reprogrammes their chip to another households number? Especially if it's a neighbour you don't like :LOL:
I like it. :D Can you make it faster too?

tim west said:

What is the chip number for The Chancellors wheelie bin at No 11 ?

Just for the record, where would I find one of these chips if it had been placed on my bin?

BoxBasher said:
Just for the record, where would I find one of these chips if it had been placed on my bin?
Under the rim at the top. Where the bin lorry picks it up. I think theres a chip on our green bin - the compostables bin - and its under a bit of sponge under the rim. I guess the sponge is to protect it, and I cant think of any other reason to put a bit of sponge under the rim of a bin!

Sponsored Links
Back