Idea Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a long story.

The ideal boiler has its condensate pipe running into the soil stack. The boiler is situated in the garage and the soil stack is the opposite side of the wall in the living room.

Water backed up the soil stack and overflowed into the boiler. Ive been told that this model of ideal boiler has a trap built in so one isnt required between the boiler and the stack.

Water was pouring out of the boiler. We immediately turned the boiler off and removed the cover to let it dry. A week later we turned the boiler on at the spur and the nothing comes up on the boiler to say if it is on. I tested the spur and there is power to the spur.

If I leave it to dry out will it eventually turn on. The main bulk of the electrics seem to be in a sealed case on the drop down section of the boiler so I cant see how water would get to this.

Does anyone of any ideas or is the boiler ruined?

Sponsored Links
Your stack was blocked and due to height of water above boiler it has pushed back and came out burner and fan.
The boiler will probable need a new fan, burner, gas valve and pcb so I'm afraid it's beyond economical repair. It's an isar probably as you forgot to tell us model.
Fit new boiler but don't fit condense into stack!!!

Your stack was blocked and due to height of water above boiler it has pushed back and came out burner and fan.
The boiler will probable need a new fan, burner, gas valve and pcb so I'm afraid it's beyond economical repair. It's an isar probably as you forgot to tell us model.
Fit new boiler but don't fit condense into stack!!!

Im not sure the damage would be that great. Firstly it is common practice to go into a sta k as due to the acidity if it was purely to run outside it would need a limestone soakaway. The ideal boiler has a built in trap so should preven water getting into the boiler it was just unfortunate the amount. All the mechanical parts of the boiler look abovwe where the condensate pipe enters
i

Why ask advice and then ignore it?

The trap would NOT prevent water entering the boiler. The water WILL have exited from the fan. The PCB IS damaged. The gas valve may be damaged, as will the burner. The water from a soil stack is not clean and solid free is it!

But it's your money, spend away.

If it is an Isar/Icos the heat exchanger should be leaking by now.

When people ask me to work on these, my phone always mysteriously cuts off :)

Sponsored Links
Why ask advice and then ignore it?

The trap would NOT prevent water entering the boiler. The water WILL have exited from the fan. The PCB IS damaged. The gas valve may be damaged, as will the burner. The water from a soil stack is not clean and solid free is it!

But it's your money, spend away.

If it is an Isar/Icos the heat exchanger should be leaking by now.

When people ask me to work on these, my phone always mysteriously cuts off :)

I can confirm the water was clean agin not worth going into detail but would this make a difference.

well you still havent confirmed the boiler model which doesnt exactly help matters, but chances are you have damaged a number of components as stated as for the water to come out it would have to rise up through the entire height of the boiler. The first answer you got was from an expert on these boilers, so will be the best guess, as that is all we can do. If it is an isar/icos then I would bin it, its not worth saving.

The trap on your boiler would stop the "smells" coming back through from your soil stack but if there was a blockage and water backfilled it would not stop water getting back into the boiler.

The chances are you could get away with just changing the PCB and the fan. But depending on how much water got in there, then as stated then you could well need to change the gas valve, burner, ignition leads etc.

If you've got power at the spur and nothing at the boiler this tells you that your PCB is obviously a fault.

Dan_Robinson";p="24S41530 said:
There's no helping some people. :rolleyes:

In these circumstances shouldnt there be a non return valve on the condensate pipe? Seeing how many run into stacks I would presume this would be regulatored or at least in the boilers guidelines

No.

But some boilers need an air gap and second trap.

But then you haven't deemed it necessary to tell us which piece of cr.ap you have installed.

Hence the consensus amongst us pro's that this is a wind up.

No.

But some boilers need an air gap and second trap.

But then you haven't deemed it necessary to tell us which piece of cr.ap you have installed.

Hence the consensus amongst us pro's that this is a wind up.

Why would it be a wind like what would it gain? like i said previously its an ideal standard boiler and i dont have the model to hand. Like I said again the trap is built into the boiler

Without knowing what boiler it is, how do you expect us to help?

Some boilers need an air gap.

Interestingly the Ishlte manuals don't mentioned whether or needs on or not.

But that is not a surprise, but looking at the size of the trap I wouldn't put it to a soils stack without one. The trap being in the boiler means nothing.

All boilers require a 75mm trap. But for some reason ideal give you this poxy 50mm trap and ask you to fit a second trap outside the boiler, I would fit a NRV on the condensate if I put it into a stack as it could save you £££££

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back