idea! key rack alarm..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
during a conversation with some strangers while sitting in kwik-fit waiting for 2 tyres, the subject turned round to robbery ( because th kwik-fit had been broken into earlier that morning ).
I told them about my mom's neighbour who had their keys fished through the letterbox and their house robbed and car stolen while they were asleep in bed.
I came up with a couple of ideas for counteracting this..

1. a key rack where you hang the keys, but the hooks have switches or weight sensors that sound an alarm when the keys are taken off the hook.. ( you'd need some way of setting the alarm and it recognising whether some hooks are empty when you set it, and some way of disabling it to take the keys off the next day without waking up the missus.. )

2. a key rack where the keyring has something that plugs into the rack and again sounds the alarm if pulled out ( could also have some sort of locking bit to stop them being removed easily )

3. a key rack where the keys have a tag that is sensed and sets the alarm off when taken too far away from the rack.. ( again need some way to turn it off in the morning )

this of course relies on people using a rack rather than throwing their keys into a bowl on the sideboard etc..

then again the radio tag thing could be made into a mat that the bowl sits on.. and so could the weight sensor idea..

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be far easier to change location of keys so as they could not be fished from anywhere?

That's what I was thinking, I keep my car key in my trouser pocket most of the time.

Sponsored Links
Yup - go for the KISS solution and don't put the keys where they can be fished.

If you want an alarm, a better idea would be RFID chips in keys, and a detector module with a switch that makes it work in one of two ways:

a) Beeps if the keys go out of range (i.e. a theft alarm)

b) Beeps when they come within range (i.e. a key finder). That could also be useful for glasses, pens, tools....

how about two chips, one in keys, one in wallet, if one or the other leaves the vicinity the alarm sounds.

What's wrong with using the same type of alarm they use in electrical retailers, where they have a loop cable with plugs on that activate when unplugged?

I normally keep door keys out of sight but my car and van keys in a place very easy to find.

I'd prefer a potential burglar not to have a reason to venture upstairs and risk harm to my wife or children.

Yes, I have a baseball bat but they have the advantage.

My missus only ever has to look in 2 places for her keys.

The radiator cover in the hall where she always drops them when she comes in and the key rack in the kitchen where I always put them after she has 'nipped upstairs' to use the loo! :LOL:

pics.gif

Some cars, iirc older peugeots have a pin code which you have to enter before you can start them, maybe that is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back