Ideal Boiler, microbore, power flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)

Ideal boiler, model is ISTOR HE260 - http://www.idealboilers.com/istor_he_details.html
Microbore system

2) What is / is not happening.

I moved into my new barratts home 25 months ago and am one month outside the timeframe where they are prepared to resolve the issue. 6 months after moving in, the boiler ground to a halt with a horrific screeching noise, ideal came out, resolved the problem, 4/5 months later, the same problem, this has happened 4/5 times in 18 months.

The boiler currently provides no heating or hot water, attempts to start when turned on, im told by one of the engineers that has been out, that it begins kettling, after about 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops, as it attempts to start there are 3 horizontal lines stacked vertically i.e.
-
-
-

which appear on the display.

not 100% sure but believe it then fails with an L9 error

I have had two ideal engineers out and one i arranged myself.

The two Ideal engineers say the system is sludged up and needs a power flush. They say the boiler fails because no water is getting through the system and the boiler overheats and then fails. one engineer removed what i think was the a copper central heating 'in' pipe (might be wrong, my knowledge of this kind of thing is zero) he put his finger into the pipe and it came out muddy and dirty, there is a clear pipe coming from the pump i think, which is an outlet for any air in the system, it doesn't go anywhere which im told is as expected, however, the clear pipe isn't very clear any more and looks fairly dirty inside.

The private engineer believed a powerflush was not required,and was 99% sure the pump was at fault. However, this has now been replaced, along with a few of the boiler parts, i believe the only main part not to be replaced is the heat exchange.

The Ideal engineer who replaced the pump etc, gave the pump to me and it seems to be covered in brown muck, i mentioned replacing the heat exchange to the engineer who did not believe this would resolve the problem, he also advised that even if i put a new boiler in, it still would not work.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.

Nothing changed, only parts replaced over the last 18 months each time issue occurs.

4) When did the problem start?

Well i think 18 months ago, this assumes that each time an engineer has been out, they have never got to the root of the problem.

On the other hand, if i've been terribly unlucky and each problem over the last 18months is unrelated, then this current problem started a week ago.

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.
Boiler doesn't provide any heating or how water, fortunately there is an immersion tank for hot water however.

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.

I have very little knowledge of this but assuming it is full of muck, then this is likely to be from the installation of the system? If this is correct, it should still be barratts responsibility, However, i feel i may have a fight on my hands and in the interest of getting it resolved as quickly as possible I was hoping someone cold help me with what my options are please?

Many thanks
Aidan.

Sponsored Links
If the system is only 2 years old and properly installed you should not have any problems such as this!

Is it pressurised or open vent?

If the Ideal engineers say it needs a flush then the question is WHY!

Is it pressurised or open vent?

it`s a boiler and unvented cylinder in one unit ;)

If it's sludged up enough in 2 years to cause the boiler to fail on L9, then it was NEVER installed, flushed and commissioned properly.

Get back to Barratt homes and tell them you are going to call in the local CORGI inspector to have a look as they never fitted it correctly originally.

Sponsored Links
With micro bore you don’t need a whole lot of sludge for the system to fail. If there is brown muck in the pipes and pump, it was not installed properly.
2 years is a bit quick, but it does sound that you need a flush, possibly only chemical because it is all quite new.
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I distrust ideal and likewise the installers who favour this misnamed brand.

but I distrust ideal and likewise the installers who favour this misnamed brand.

Ideal boilers are great, so are Ravenheat, Heatline & B&Q.

And anything made by Glowworm.

If you get it sorted I would consider ripping out your microbore pipes, (favoured by the one hit in a day merchants) & upgrading to 15mm pipework, your boiler can`t cope with the crappy system installed.

If it`s a Barratt house I`m surprised it hasn`t been done in Hep, or speedfit, no offence.

Get back to Barratt homes and tell them you are going to call in the local CORGI inspector to have a look as they never fitted it correctly originally.

Many thanks to everyone for their thoughts, Like the idea of the CORGI inspector a lot, im still hopefull this will end positivily!

Corgi will not be interested in a sludged system,it has nothing to do with gas safety.

No, but they will if it was never fitted and commissioned properly in the first place.

Well as expected, barratts are unwilling to take any responsibility and are basically prove it wasnt installed correctly and we may help.

So i guess its a case of paying for it myself, trying the CORGI inspector route, trading standards,watchdog etc and try to reclaim the costs of any work.

I come across lots of these situations and the owner rants and raves but at the end of the day never takes any action against the builder or installer.

My suggestion is that you concentrate on getting a competent heating engineer who will treat the sludge and get the system properly working.

Then if you wished you could consider getting the costs involved reimubursed by Barratts.

However you will need an expert witness to give a report on the situation and that will not be very cheap, possibly more than getting it sorted out anyway.

I diont expect you to have the time to work on taking Barratts to Court over a small amount.

Tony

My suggestion is that you concentrate on getting a competent heating engineer who will treat the sludge and get the system properly working.

Then if you wished you could consider getting the costs involved reimubursed by Barratts.

I diont expect you to have the time to work on taking Barratts to Court over a small amount.

Tony

Hey Tony, thanks for the info, was pretty much my plan to be honest, main thing is to get it working, regarding, taking on barratts, your right, i barely have tome to deal with getting the system working! I can only take it so far but hey, ill do what i can. oh and any tips on finding a good heating engineer?

As for CORGI inspector corgiman,I guess someone like me just tries every avenue they can, i have mailed them about it but well ill just have to see if they come back at all.

I come across lots of these situations and the owner rants and raves but at the end of the day never takes any action against the builder or installer.

However you will need an expert witness to give a report on the situation and that will not be very cheap, possibly more than getting it sorted out anyway.

Tony

Barratt,if taken to court, will have to defend the action or settle out of court.

I'd go down this route personally.

I would send Barratt a letter before action (LBA) then if they did not reply or respond within the terms of the LBA I would then instruct an outside contractor to repair the works ,pay them then take Barratt to the small claims court for the expense.

Bottom line is Barratt will fix this themselves or their contractor will once the have received the LBA.

I can post a LBA for the OP if he wants.

I got it from moneysavingexpert.com so all he needs to do is go to that site and search for LBA.

Seems to me that the OP is in a very strong position here particularly if he has copies of service visits and etc.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back