IDEAL CLASSIC FAN ISSUE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, been to a few ideal classics lately and as most will know the fans have a small plastic propellor on the top, for cooling purposes to the fan motor I would presume ?

anyway as most will know/ have seen these plastic propellors all tend to go brittle and break off thu time

Just wondering if most people replace them or not or leave them ?

I know they may help the fan life but really do they do any good and worth replacing at servicing ??

Sponsored Links
AQll those I go to have such brittle plastic on the fan motor end cheeks that if you try to pull off the connections it will break the plastic.

It seems to be a feature of these boilers that they overheat the fan.

Tony

Agile said:
AQll those I go to have such brittle plastic on the fan motor end cheeks that if you try to pull off the connections it will break the plastic.

It seems to be a feature of these boilers that they overheat the fan.

Tony

Tony noticed that also on these boilers, probably due to the position of the fan being directly above unlike many which sit to the side slightly..

fan replacement quite common..

weve not been replacing the broken/ brittle propellors purely for the reason every 1 is so brittle and broken we go to we cant see it actually doing any good at all with cooling amd protecting.
It doesnt suggest replacing as part of a service on the M.I's either but then again may provide extra fan life ???

just wondered how many folk seen this as a must do job and how many thought the propellor gave very little protection to the fan motor !

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
Buy the ones for the baxi solos, they are cheaper.

will keep that in mind if we start replacing mate ! just thought these didnt actually do much for protecting the fan as we have replaced that many fans on these boilers, some with these propellors and some without and every one was as Tony said above, very brittle at the connections etc regardless if the propellor was attached/ half working or fully off...

Well I don't think they actually make new fans with the cooling impellors on any more do they?, so presume from that that they only ever kept the motor cool. I've never really noticed the classics being much worse than any other, but then I suppose the early ones are getting on for 20 years under their belts.
I think that completely off is better than half off by the way...keeps the load even.

it depends on whether its a classic 1 or classic 2

it is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to have a cooling fan on the Classic (1) than on the classic 2

But then you CORGIs can rip the customer off for a new fan, so why do you care?

OLLSKI - WRONG

raden said:

OLLSKI - WRONG

Touchy are'nt you, get wet this morning did we. ;)

raden wrote:
OLLSKI - WRONG
Touchy are'nt you, get wet this morning did we.

What me ?

lets get this in proportion

you CORGI
me take the ****

are you the right side if clueless now ?

I hope so

raden said:
it depends on whether its a classic 1 or classic 2

it is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to have a cooling fan on the Classic (1) than on the classic 2

OLLSKI - WRONG

as these boilers I am questioning are on a Housing association contract then looks like nobody is getting ripped off then doesnt it !!

PS. whats the classic 1 and classic 2 ?? the models I have been working on do not state 1 or 2 all are FF240 OR FF250'S !!

The original classics had a "square"can (seam top and bottom) and one pipe coming out at the outlet port, the Classic 2s have a mid seam, much like the Solo 2s for example and two pipes

"raden wrote:
OLLSKI - WRONG
Thanks for that sparkling nugget of information Geoff, you have enlightened me no end. "

wouldn't want to dissapoint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back