IDEAL E type CF 80N gas valve problem

Again, thanks to all for further input.

namsag- it is the one with grey pushbutton, and searching the web i've found it for £80 ish.

algas- I wish I could get just the solenoid but unlikely. Can it be removed for examination without causing a gas leak ?

My home is pretty well insulated now so not much more can be done there.Perhaps extra lagging on the hot water tank, but zoneing impractical due to floor coverings.

Sponsored Links
OP, you have 2 choices.

1) As many say, change the boiler. But, do not expect new super duper mega efficient boiler to match 30, 15 or even 7.5 years of flawless operation your present boiler lump has given you. If your new boiler does not break down within the first two years, you should go to the church and thank the lord that you have been graced with a worthy appliance.

When the boiler does break down, you then have the privilege to call in someone whose skill level may be two extremes. If you are again grace with lady luck, you will get an engineer who will fix your shiny white lemon for it to start 'steaming' away at 95% efficiency. Here comes the sting in the tail- the bill. What you will have saved 95% less the lowly efficiency% figure of ideal E type workhorse will unlikely cover the cost of parts let alone the labour charge. Nor will it save the planet as your new boiler will often need parts that the makers are hellbent on making a killing (it is not uncommon for a £25.00 fan to be supplied to the heating engineer for £200 or more), and many visits from your friendly engineer.

2) Get the boiler fixed. Upgrade controls (fit TRVs and programmable room thermostat). Upgrade cylinder. Zone the house. Insulate house. Get to know boilers from forums such as this. This will give you time to walk to the finishing line that will ultimately be the boiler change when present cannot be fixed as many parts are now obsolete. You are lucky in this instance with the gas valve.

If you do decide to change the boiler, do not look at the final figure to see who is the cheapest, but ask for quotes or estimates with installers supplying the same make and model and same specification of work carried out. System cleaning is very important as is correct use of materials.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Fix it, £150 is a fart in the wind compared to replacing it with a new boiler.

As DP says, do the above, and bring the rest of your home up to standard. You'll be better off preserving the life of this boiler and keeping your ears to the ground for an 'amazing offer' on a Vaillant.

And one final thing; the Solenoid on Honeywell Grey Push-Button Valves can be changed, but you'd be best getting a RGI in to do it. They would also be able to service the appliance whilst there!

Solenoid is avialable at around 45 quid takes 5 mins to change by an rgi so might save you on labour cost as opposed to changin whole valve

Sponsored Links
namsag, do you by any chance have a part no. for the solenoid ? My local plumbers' merchant sounds about 16 on the phone and seems to have his mind on other things. The part no. of the gas valve is V4600A1021 1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back